Valued Contributor

Re: New Amazon Alexa Devices Coming Soon

@willdob3 wrote:

I must have control issues! lol I can’t imagine using something like this. I’m on my second iPhone and have never used Siri! I always forget to use Alexa on my Fire TV Stick.

I do “get” that these things can be great tools but I just can’t get myself to go there. It is almost annoying that I don’t use these things. Smiley Wink

Maybe if everyone keeps posting great reviews about them I will finally come around.

I have had an iPhone since the 4S hVe upgraded every year and have rarely used Siri. The main reason I got two of the Echos was for use as wireless speakers for music with my Amazon Prime Music, Audible books and SiriusXm subscription, but have started to find other uses. My clock radio died a week after getting it and I now use it as my alarm clock (which also has snooze and a sleep timer) and can now immediately ask about the weather and traffic without pulling out my phone or waiting for the local station to get to it. There are internet radio apps in addition to my Siriusxm and from there can tell it to play a local station, one from my hometown in another state or various music. If I get up at night, I just say Alexa - flashlight and it gives me enough light to see around the room. There are calculator apps for quick calculations, you can set multiple timers for cooking or workouts. I set morning “flash briefings” where there are news summaries from The NY Times, Fox News, Reuters, BBC, sports briefings, Tonight Show monologue, various tech news sites, Bible verse of the day and all sorts of other options. 

I wish the Alexa app were set up better but you can set it all up in there. It works well as speakers but I am getting more comfortable using it for other things. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have an original Echo, a Dot (use with a 3" JB L speaker) and a Tap.  We are very happy with all 3 and at this point see no need to upgrade.  My young Grandsons love the tell me a joke or tell me a story option.  When they next visit we'll try the Play a Game option.  I was an early adaptor of Echo; when I bought it I wasn't sure what it would do but I'm very happy with all our devices.

Respected Contributor

This info was announced a few days ago.  They also have a new fire 10 tablet. I have the new 7 inch and its nicer than last years

Valued Contributor

When it was a tsv I bought my parents an Alexa for Christmas.  I have pre-warned them they will hate their gift. What on earth could it be, they say...

When they open up, there is going to be at least 15 discussions about is the NSA being allowed to listen in on questions such as...Alexa, who starred in Gunsmoke?

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

This info was announced a few days ago.  They also have a new fire 10 tablet. I have the new 7 inch and its nicer than last years

I want to get one of those new 10" Kindle Fire tablets, but I'm waiting until the Black Friday period to see if they mark it down. The current price ($149) isn't bad, but if I can get it for $119-$129 I'll be even happier. My 7" one if still going strong too, so there's no real need for a new tablet just yet, but I want one anyway. We're close enough to Black Friday (7+ weeks) that I don't mind waiting a wee bit longer if I can save money, and Amazon almost always marks down their own stuff for the big sales. (I saved $250 by buying my 55" Fire TV on Prime Day.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I have 2 Kindle Fires, don't get me wrong I like them, but the apps for the Kindles are seriously lacking. I go often to see if there is anything new in games, and it's always the same ones. I have an iPad Air and there are so many more apps available there.