Honored Contributor

brainstorming my bluetooth headphone options

[ Edited ]

ok so here's the deal, I have my single ear headset that I usually use in the car when I'm driving. Then I have my two ear set without a microphone that I use for working out and doing stuff around the house. 

Now I have my new apple watch with cellular. So I can get calls on it without having to run to my phone. And I'll be able to stream my apple music sub ect directly from it too. So I'm thinking I might use the bluetooth headset more at home than I did. Maybe I should buy a new good quality set with a mic so I can also answer calls. I won't use it in the car as I prefer the one ear for that. 

Usually if I'm listening to music while I'm on my mac and other people are home, I just use corded headphones but my good ones died and I'm not thrilled with the cheap replacement. I'm thinking if I get a good bluetooth set with mic I can cover all my options. And with my watch, I won't have to worry about taking off the corded ones because I leave my desk, or hearing "out of range" because I went to far from my macs bluetooth. 

So after all that, I'm wondering if I forgot anything? Anyone have anything insightful to add? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Re: brainstorming my bluetooth headphone options

@jaxs mom I have had Bose for a long time.  When they wore out, I bought Bluetooth Beatsx and Sony.  I don't love the BeatsX.  The only reason I bought those was because I had a $200 Apple gift card.  I thought about trying the Ir pics but was worried I would lose one walking in winter in the snow.

I also bought a Sony set from Costco online.  I like those quite a bit.  Much better sound than Beats.

Good luck with your choice.  Let us know which one you pick and review pls.  LM

Honored Contributor

I've been considering getting bluetooth headphones and there are some really low-priced,but very well reviewed options at Amazon. I've currently got a $29.99 pair on my wishlist that seem to do everything I need them to do. It's the VAVA MOOV 28 Wireless Headphones. They're relatively water resistant (splashes, light rain, sweat and the like, you can't swim with them however.) They have a noise cancelling mic. Decent battery life (eight hours of use on a two hour charge.) They even have magnets built in so you can wear them around your neck when you're not using them and not have to worry about losing them. The reviews are generally very, very good (4.5 out of 5.) They even come with three different sized earbuds for whatever ear size you have. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I was out shopping and the sales guy was talking to me about the Bose ones, but I'm not sure I want to spend 150 dollars. I already have ones without a mic that I bought for working out that were in the 30 dollars range. Normally I don't spend more than 100 dollars on headphones. I use them every day though, so I don't know. I also saw some at Costco that were 50-70 and when I checked Amazon they had good reviews. 

I really don't need waterproof. The normal amount of sweatproof is fine. It would be nice to be able to take calls when I'm working out as I've missed some important ones on occasion. 

Honored Contributor

I ended up ordering the Bose Soundsport. I normally would have gone back and bought them in person, instant gratification and all but QVC ebates is 12% today ( and free shipping) so I saved 18 dollars, 28 dollars when you count in my added 10 dollars for my first purchase. I figured 28 bucks was worth waiting for the slow shipping. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I ended up ordering the Bose Soundsport. I normally would have gone back and bought them in person, instant gratification and all but QVC ebates is 12% today ( and free shipping) so I saved 18 dollars, 28 dollars when you count in my added 10 dollars for my first purchase. I figured 28 bucks was worth waiting for the slow shipping. 

Congratulations! I went ahead and ordered the ones I had on my Amazon wish list. They'll be coming tomorrow. I'll find out how they work then. It'll be a long two hours as they charge up, but then I'll give them a nice test. Being the cheap sort that I am, I cashed in the spare change I had lying around and got an Amazon e-gift card with it to pay for them so they essentially cost me nothing, which is nice.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

So the Bose Soundsport sound fabulous, but the controls are going to take some getting used to. Not thrilled with how you skip songs forward and back on these.

I haven't tested them during a workout yet to see if they stay in, my other headphones with cresent moon ear retainers feel more secure. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH wants a great pair of BT headphones for Christmas; after much research we decided on Sennheiser.

Honored Contributor

I loved the Sennheisers I had, but they were wired headphones. 

I'm grateful that I can just pair my bluetooth headset with my apple watch and use the music controls on it instead of on the headphones themselves. I think I'd find these Bose controls annoying if I couldn't. 

Honored Contributor

This is interesting. I've read reviews from people complaining that the Soundsport aren't loud enough, IE the volume max is lower than expected. My old bluetooth headphones I mostly listened to when working out and paired to my mac desktop. But I started pairing them with my iphone so I could take calls if I needed to.

What I noticed is that the same headphones have a louder max volume when paired with my mac than when paired with my iphone or my watch. All volume settings on the devices are maxed out, so it's not that. The source music is the same file and none are streamed, so it can't be that.