Honored Contributor

Need Help Choosing A New Router

I've been thinking about getting a new router for a while.  I watched part of HSN's presentation of their TS router.  I don't think that one will work for me, partly because it's touch screen and I'm afraid my kitten would jump on my desk and press the screen and mess it up.  Also, I imagine it has a lot of extras that I don't need.

When I'm watching an Amazon Prime show through my Tivo, the show will sometimes stop and I'll have to press something to get it to start again.  I'm thinking that means I could need a new router.  Is that correct?  I know nothing about this.  

I did look at my router, and it's a G.  I've had it for many many years.  When I connect a new router, do I have to reconnect my printer and other devices, or is that just automatic?  That's one reason I have hesitated buying one before this.

Is there a specific router that I should look into getting?  I'm just at a complete loss.  Whenever I go in Best Buy I never can find anyone to help me so would just as soon purchase online.  I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help Choosing A New Router

Pauses in streaming video are usually an internet connection speed issue and not indicative of needing to replace a router. Is your tivo even using the router? My modem and router are right next to my tivo with tivo connected over ethernet cable not wifi. It gets faster speeds over ethernet anyway. 

What's your data plan speed and have you run a speed test? That would be my first step. Alternatively if your modem is close enough to your tivo you could try directly connecting to the modem and bypassing the router just to see if the router is the issue. But I doubt it is, if it was you'd have issues with your other wifi connected devices ( assuming Tivo is even connected with wifi and not ethernet). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

@NickNack

I have had good luck with Netgear and Cisco.

Honored Contributor

BTW, wireless G has a max speed of 54 mbps

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

You should contact your cable provider. Most companies give a router modem with service. They call this equipment a combo unit. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

You should contact your cable provider. Most companies give a router modem with service. They call this equipment a combo unit. 

good advice

she probably needs an updated modem too,  

cable co may have the modem router company

the last one I got was a lynksis I know that is not how it is spelled 

nighthawk which was very good 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Pauses in streaming video are usually an internet connection speed issue and not indicative of needing to replace a router. Is your tivo even using the router? My modem and router are right next to my tivo with tivo connected over ethernet cable not wifi. It gets faster speeds over ethernet anyway. 

What's your data plan speed and have you run a speed test? That would be my first step. Alternatively if your modem is close enough to your tivo you could try directly connecting to the modem and bypassing the router just to see if the router is the issue. But I doubt it is, if it was you'd have issues with your other wifi connected devices ( assuming Tivo is even connected with wifi and not ethernet). 

@jaxs mom  I know you're going to think I'm stupid, and I am when it comes to things like this.  I am pretty sure I don't have an ethernet cable.  I don't understand what ethernet cable is but do remember reading about it when setting up my Tivo.  How would I know if I had ethernet cable?  

I just looked at my Comcast account, and it says I have a 1024 GB monthly plan.  Download speed 3Mbps and Upload speed 0.768Mbps.  I don't know how to run a speed test, but I will Google it and try to do it.  Thank you for your help.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

BTW, wireless G has a max speed of 54 mbps

@jaxs mom  I had read that.  That's one reason I thought I might need a new Router.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nuttmeg  I have the combo unit, which is fairly new, but the router part isn't connected since I already had one.  The guy who came out to connect it commented that he didn't need to since I already had a router.  I should have insisted he do it.  I have Comcast and had heard they had a lot of problems with their equipment.  Maybe I should call them to connect it though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@jaxs mom  I know you're going to think I'm stupid, and I am when it comes to things like this.  I am pretty sure I don't have an ethernet cable.  I don't understand what ethernet cable is but do remember reading about it when setting up my Tivo.  How would I know if I had ethernet cable?  

I just looked at my Comcast account, and it says I have a 1024 GB monthly plan.  Download speed 3Mbps and Upload speed 0.768Mbps.  I don't know how to run a speed test, but I will Google it and try to do it.  Thank you for your help.

@jaxs mom  I looked up what my speed was, and it says Link speed:  54 Mbit/s, which I'm assuming is because that's my wireless router's speed.  It also says I'm connected by Wi-Fi, not ethernet. Which is the preferred way?  I just googled it, and it said Wi-Fi.  Is that correct?

-Henry David Thoreau