Honored Contributor

Re: NEED CAMERA RECOMMENDATIONS

@Tinkrbl44, I live now (didn't when I bought the phone) in almost a dead zone for both cell signal and wifi. It's where our specific house sits, geographically. In addition, the whole area of CA's Central Coast doesn't have enough cell towers, period, from any carrier. None of them want to spend the $$ on more sparsely populated areas. Plus, I think people don't want towers on their property :-(

Still - my niece has an iPhone 5S and she both makes and receives calls at home 90% of the time. She has drops, but not every call, all the time. With my 6S (which I love, sadly) literally every incoming call drops at the house. I cannot get a call!  I have to tell people trying to reach me to text me or leave a voicemail!

I started doing some online reading, because I knew I'd heard that iPhone 7's were having issues with Verizon (the ONLY carrier that has halfway decent service here). The more I read, the more I found out that this issue started with the 6's, has been an issue for many, and across ALL carriers, and that years later, Apple has never said a word about it or acknowledged there is a problem.

It's believed to be an internal antenna issue on some phones, or something else (?) with others. I have been given a new SIM card and that didn't help. My phone is 14 months old and bought in LA; I highly doubt I have any recourse at this late date for a new phone :-(

I've never expected great reception at the house, but since my niece's 5S functions at least acceptably, there has to be something wrong with my newer, theoretically better phone (as there is with many other 6 and 7 iPhones). And at this point, neither Verizon nor Apple will be inclined to do diddly, especially when Apple doesn't even acknowledge there's an issue.

I "got by" in the city, and anyone who lives in a large urban area would too, but it starts to stand out like a sore thumb in areas with few towers and sparcer coverage.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Interesting .... I bet a LOT of people in your area have land lines.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Moonchilde

Interesting .... I bet a LOT of people in your area have land lines.

Probably so, if they're smart. Our "landline" is VoIP, and I think it has kwap sound quality compared to a true land line. But I'm not paying that bill, so.... ;-(

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@violann wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've had a Pentax Optio E10 camera for ages and never really mastered the functions.  It's always frustrating to use.   Well, it's on its last leg and I'm now looking for a new camera .....   something simple, but good.   

I'm an Ebay seller and close ups are important on many things.  

I don't want a state of the art, high tech camera.   I want something easy to use.    Am I asking too much?  

Any suggestions ..... or recommendations?    TIA!

Hi @Tinkrbl44- if you have any enthusiasm for iPhones, the cameras in them are super, and since the phones are pretty easy to use, you have all kinds of other good stuff in a pocket sized gizmo.

I've taken some very satisfying shots with mine. Good luck with your search. I love photography!

iPhone cameras are good - I still use mine often. But there are two things to think about - the most expensive current iPhone has a 2X zoom; that's nothing. You can't take a good, as in printable-good, closer-in photo with that. The other things to at least consider re having an iPhone for camera use is cost (the iPhones with the best cameras are the most expensive, and the next iPhone is predicted to cost $1000), and the fact that starting with iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and 7S, a sizable number of the phones are having dropped calls and weak signals - more on some networks than others, worse in the country than in the city.

I love my 6S and take pictures with it a lot - BUT - where I have moved to, it's literally useless as a PHONE. I (and Verizon) have tried everything and ALL my calls drop at home (where I need it the most). So, my next phone, when I can afford it, will not be an iPhone, much as I have liked mine (5S and 6S). Just things to think about, IF you were contemplating using an iPhone as your sole camera.

we have always had lousy cell phone reception in the house, since we had cellphones,  IMO I don't think it's the phone it's more the house and it's configuration.  in our case anyway.  

we have a land line that we use as well. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@violann wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've had a Pentax Optio E10 camera for ages and never really mastered the functions.  It's always frustrating to use.   Well, it's on its last leg and I'm now looking for a new camera .....   something simple, but good.   

I'm an Ebay seller and close ups are important on many things.  

I don't want a state of the art, high tech camera.   I want something easy to use.    Am I asking too much?  

Any suggestions ..... or recommendations?    TIA!

Hi @Tinkrbl44- if you have any enthusiasm for iPhones, the cameras in them are super, and since the phones are pretty easy to use, you have all kinds of other good stuff in a pocket sized gizmo.

I've taken some very satisfying shots with mine. Good luck with your search. I love photography!

iPhone cameras are good - I still use mine often. But there are two things to think about - the most expensive current iPhone has a 2X zoom; that's nothing. You can't take a good, as in printable-good, closer-in photo with that. The other things to at least consider re having an iPhone for camera use is cost (the iPhones with the best cameras are the most expensive, and the next iPhone is predicted to cost $1000), and the fact that starting with iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and 7S, a sizable number of the phones are having dropped calls and weak signals - more on some networks than others, worse in the country than in the city.

I love my 6S and take pictures with it a lot - BUT - where I have moved to, it's literally useless as a PHONE. I (and Verizon) have tried everything and ALL my calls drop at home (where I need it the most). So, my next phone, when I can afford it, will not be an iPhone, much as I have liked mine (5S and 6S). Just things to think about, IF you were contemplating using an iPhone as your sole camera.

we have always had lousy cell phone reception in the house, since we had cellphones,  IMO I don't think it's the phone it's more the house and it's configuration.  in our case anyway.  

we have a land line that we use as well. 

If it's ONLY "the house", then how to you explain that an older phone from the same company (Apple) functions adequately anywhere inside the house and rarely drops calls, while my "newer, improved" model (also from Apple) pretty much doesn't function at all for voice?