Valued Contributor

Can I keep my email address if I cancel ATT Uverse internet?

[ Edited ]

I'm really embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know. I've had my internet with ATT for many years and, therefore, the same Yahoo email address. I'm ready to switch to Time Warner (Spectrum now), but am wondering if I will be able to access my Yahoo email after I have cancelled service with ATT. Would ask ATT, but I've just spent about 3 1/2 hours, on and off, on the phone with them (most of that time just waiting on hold) trying to get answers about something else. Never did get my problems resolved, so not about to waste any more of my time calling to ask about my email. Would appreciate any help from any of you with this. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Can I keep my email address if I cancel ATT Uverse internet?

I would like to know too...I know the other way around, my Spectrum e-mail will be cancelled, that I asked already.

Honored Contributor

If you have an email account w/Yahoo, you can still get your mail from their site- Yahoo! Mail

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I kept my att.net e-mail address for years after dropping U-Verse.  The only problem, and I now have abandoned it is that you cannot change the password through YAHOO, you have to change it through AT&T which was too big a hassle.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

I'm really embarrassed to ask this, but I really don't know. I've had my internet with ATT for many years and, therefore, the same Yahoo email address. I'm ready to switch to Time Warner (Spectrum now), but am wondering if I will be able to access my Yahoo email after I have cancelled service with ATT. Would ask ATT, but I've just spent about 3 1/2 hours, on and off, on the phone with them (most of that time just waiting on hold) trying to get answers about something else. Never did get my problems resolved, so not about to waste any more of my time calling to ask about my email. Would appreciate any help from any of you with this. Thanks.

E-mail services like Yahoo.com, gmail.com, aol.com and hotmail.com are not associated with a particular internet provider.  So, it doesn't matter what service you have.  If your e-mail is like mine, comcast.net, you will lose it when you change internet providers. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 - AT&T doesn't host their own e-mail, they use YAHOO as their e-mail host.  YAHOO provides it as an att.net address, but it is YAHOO.  Unfortunately, as I posted earlier the disadvantage is that for whatever reason the att.net account has to be managed through AT&T's account maintenance website not through the YAHOO account maintenance.  So, when YAHOO had that big hacking issue, a lot of folks couldn't change their passwords because they no longer had access to the AT&T account maintenance.

Respected Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@glb613 - AT&T doesn't host their own e-mail, they use YAHOO as their e-mail host.  YAHOO provides it as an att.net address, but it is YAHOO.  Unfortunately, as I posted earlier the disadvantage is that for whatever reason the att.net account has to be managed through AT&T's account maintenance website not through the YAHOO account maintenance.  So, when YAHOO had that big hacking issue, a lot of folks couldn't change their passwords because they no longer had access to the AT&T account maintenance.

That was not made clear in the original post.  She said she had a Yahoo account and that is not dependent on the ISP you use. 

It's always best to have multiple e-mail accounts and especially to have one that is not tied to your ISP.  If her account is connected to AT&T, she will lose it when she changes ISP. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

E-mail services like Yahoo.com, gmail.com, aol.com and hotmail.com are not associated with a particular internet provider.  So, it doesn't matter what service you have.  If your e-mail is like mine, comcast.net, you will lose it when you change internet providers. 

@glb613, Comcast/Xfinity customers can keep their email addresses after disconnecting service. You must access the email within the 90 days before disconnecting service, and at least once every 9 months after that.

www.xfinity.com/support/internet/using-email-only/

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@glb613, Comcast/Xfinity customers can keep their email addresses after disconnecting service. You must access the email within the 90 days before disconnecting service, and at least once every 9 months after that.

www.xfinity.com/support/internet/using-email-only/

I sure didn't know you could keep your e-mail after disconnecting your service.  Seems odd to me why Comcast would do this.  If you have Comcast, you know they don't do anything free of charge. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't know this either.  When I left ATT Uverse last year for Charter, I had already set myself up with Charter email addresses before I found out that my old sbcglobal (ATT acquired them quite a few years ago) email addresses could have been kept.

BUT, and it's a big one (!), I am glad to this day that I left completely.   Not only did ATT mess with me when I left them but the spam I was getting there increased exponentially when I left.  I kept the old email addresses active and checked them from time to time until I was confident I had changed everything.    I was getting so much more spam, plus ATT was making it a lot more difficult to log into att.yahoo.   It was like a puzzle I had to figure out each time.   Now, I'm 100% outta there and I couldn't be more happy.

BTW, after almost 10 months, I have yet to get spam on any of my new email addresses.   Loving that!  Smiley Happy