Trusted Contributor

Micro SD Card Question

[ Edited ]

My knowledge of electronics is almost zero......can you help me please?

I have a Motog7 Optimo Maxx Tracfone (Android) I purchased from QVC last year.  I noticed that my storage is about 65% used.  So I read the instruction book and it said the phone supports up to a 512gb microSD card.

When I put the card in the phone, is there any chance I can lose the pictures (about 200) that are in the phone? 

Is there anything "special" I have to do so I don't lose the pictures or anything else?

Are there any steps I have to do to "set-it up".  Or, do you just insert and and that's it?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.  Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

When I put the card in the phone, is there any chance I can lose the pictures (about 200) that are in the phone? 

You will need to "transfer" the photos from the micro SD card to your "new" SD card.

There are several ways to do this.  The 2 easiest ways are....

1 - Download the Android File Transfer app. Connect your phone to your computer via USB & open up the Android File Transfer app & your phone should immediately connected.

Your photos are inside the DCIM folder.   Move the folder onto your computer desktop.

Close out the AFT app &  remove your old SD card & insert the NEW SD card.

Open again the AFT app.  When it connects to your phone, Move the DCIM folder into your "new" SD card.  You can delete the DCIM folder inside your "new" SD card.

2 - Purchase a SD card reader "that reads all size SD cards."  The reader connects to your comp.  Put the "old" SD card into reader, transfer to your desktop & follow #1 directions.

Is there anything "special" I have to do so I don't lose the pictures or anything else?

Backup, backup, backup.

You can burn your photos onto DVD = hardcopy backup.

Are there any steps I have to do to "set-it up".  Or, do you just insert and and that's it?

Nothing to do but just insert the card.

**NOTE**  The store you purchased the SD card from will do everything for you= FREE!  Hope you purchased from Best Buy!

Check YOUTube tutorials.  Pictures/videos are worth a million words.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: Micro SD Card Question

[ Edited ]

I saw someone replied to your question- JUST AS I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING--however- they're assuming you even have a laptop that has a dvd/cd tray!!! the newer ones don't all have them- mine doesn't- and it's almost 2 years- they're phasing them out!   Just like CD players in cars!! ARGGGHHH!!!!

Super Contributor

@sipp wrote:

I saw someone replied to your question- JUST AS I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING--however- they're assuming you even have a laptop that has a dvd/cd tray!!! the newer ones don't all have them- mine doesn't- and it's almost 2 years- they're phasing them out!   Just like CD players in cars!! ARGGGHHH!!!!

I have an external DVD player for my Macs.  They still sell external DVD drives if you are interested.  Other options for a back up are cloud storage, I use iCloud, and flash drives.   NEVER have only one copy of what you can't afford to lose.  Having all of your photos on a phone is one of the worse things you can do.  Phones die, get stolen or damaged and your data is lost. 

Honored Contributor

Cloud storage is the way to go. If you have Amazon Prime they let you store your photos on their cloud using the Amazon Photos app. If you have Microsoft 365, they let you back up photos to the Microsoft cloud. Google photo backup now is a paid service but it's like $2 a month for backup, so it's not too bad. I back up all of my photos to all three of the above-mentioned clouds and for the photos on all of them to disappear would be nearly impossible. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Occasional Contributor

Ust insert the card. You may or may not get a message to fotmat the card on it's initial installation. You can let it format if you do get that message. That is all you have to do, but then to move your photos onto the sd card you need to go to the settings of your phone and manage storage.

Every phone is a little different, but essentially you want to move your photos from internal storage to your micro sd card

Valued Contributor

Ok that eyeball is just creepy!! however- I have a question- if I use a micro sd card on my tracfone --- do i leave it in or do I remove it? is it only to transfer to another platform or can I keep it in?

Honored Contributor

I keep the micro SD card in my phone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!