Honored Contributor

Not sure where to post this question, but the posters here seem very savvy, so .........

Can anyone tell me why I get so many "friend suggestions"  for people I have no possible way of knowing? 

For the life of me, I cannot trace a connection between me, friends, and the "suggestions" that are made.    Different countries, different continents .... it seems totally random to me.

Even more importantly .... is there a way to make FB stop doing this?   It's now gone beyond annoying.

TIA!

Frequent Contributor

There are 3 dots in the right hand corner of that box.  Just click on and you can choose to hide them.  Not sure how they choose people for you, I thought it was likely friends of friends.  I don't get other countries, but sometimes it's people I would never ever friend.  But, sometimes it comes up with people that love seeing again.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    LOL, I'll watch for replies with interest as I've wondered the same.  I get friend suggestions from people in countries I've never heard of. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Not sure how I erased your subject.  sorry.  

Esteemed Contributor

FB loves to annoy us - with  pics of people we never heard of. Even if we know them - we don't need the page inundated with junk.

Trusted Contributor

I too get suggestions from people I would love to be in touch with again.  The rest I just totally ignore.  To me not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

@robbn99 wrote:

Not sure how I erased your subject.  sorry.  

@robbn99 

Well, we'll let it go this time, but just be sure it doesn't happen again .... LOL    Woman LOL  Woman LOL   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I agree, I never post and would love to get rid of the entire page but I have to read again how someone did that.

What scared me, seriously, there were photo's of guy pointing guns at you, I thought if they landed on my page, am I landing on their page?  I complained many a time but no answer and it was ignored.  That was several years ago so now I just ignore it and never use it hopefully someday it will just go away.

Honored Contributor

@robbn99 wrote:

There are 3 dots in the right hand corner of that box.  Just click on and you can choose to hide them.  Not sure how they choose people for you, I thought it was likely friends of friends.  I don't get other countries, but sometimes it's people I would never ever friend.  But, sometimes it comes up with people that love seeing again.  

It's possible some of your friends are playing games on FB and have friended other people playing the same game so that they can get help on the game.  In that case, they could be from anywhere.  However, usually, the friend request would include a notation like "1 mutual friend" if that was the case.  You could then click on the requestor (not the Accept!!!) and see who that mutual friend is.  

Or, the friend suggestion could be based on an interest group you might be in.  

I haven't gotten any totally random Suggestions.  I have gotten some totally random requests, usually males probably looking for lonely females.  I just ignore those.

Valued Contributor

You can do what I did: deleted my FB page completely. And, I don't miss it at all!