Respected Contributor

Did an update of Safari, Pages, Keynote and Numbers.  Took me almost 20 minutes to complete!!!!!

Now I understand why many people don't bother.

Esteemed Contributor

But very important to update.  What operating system are you using?

Respected Contributor

OS Sierra 10.12.6.  I ALWAYS do updates and use the latest Operating System available.  My comment was that the 4 updates seemed to take forever and the Safari update was the longest of the 4.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000. I'm not much of a techie, so I'm always very nervous doing the updates.  Can you tell me briefly what is involved that made updating take so long?

Honored Contributor

I downloaded 10.12.6 today and also a Safari update.  It took about 20 minutes to download both.  I didn't think that was very long considering there were two updates.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000@Teddixat@Krimpette@NickNack

The Safari update only took 6 minutes for me.    Many things impact the download/install time.    The speed of your connection, the volume of requests to Apple's servers, performance of your computer, etc, all are involved in this process.   When a new update is released, there's often a flurry of people wanting to access it at the same time and that can really bog things down. 

There are so many variables involved, so it's difficult-to-impossible to give a spot-on prediction for how long it will take for everyone.  @Cats3000, Updates might seem like a "bother" but often they include significant security protections, fixes to annoying bugs, etc.    I understand waiting a wee bit to see how new versions are received, but it's not a good idea to skip updates for too long.    @NickNack, I would say, in general, that 20 minutes to update your operating system and Safari was excellent!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo I do not find any update notification on my MacBook Pro (I use Sierra).  Where woud I find that operating system update (10.12.6)?  I've done the Safari update, as well as the one for Malwarebytes.  Thanks!  (Obviousy, I'm somewhat technology challenged!)

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo. OOOPS!!!! That appears to be the version I'm already using on my MacBook Pro.  Is there a later version now?  

Honored Contributor

Krimpette wrote:

@dooBdoo I do not find any update notification on my MacBook Pro (I use Sierra).  Where woud I find that operating system update (10.12.6)?  I've done the Safari update, as well as the one for Malwarebytes.  Thanks!  (Obviousy, I'm somewhat technology challenged!)

Krimpette wrote:

@dooBdoo. OOOPS!!!! That appears to be the version I'm already using on my MacBook Pro.  Is there a later version now?  

Good morning, @Krimpette!   Sierra 10.12.6 is the current version.   It was released for download and installation on July 19.    A major update, macOS High Sierra v. 10.13, is scheduled for release on September 25.   To check for available updates, you always can look under the Apple drop-down menu and click "App Store" or just open the App Store icon on the dock and click on the "Updates" tab at the top.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo. Thanks so much!  I'm really getting old....I don't even remember instaling that update, but sure enough...my computer shows that it's the versionon on my computer.   Will it be necessary to update to High Sierra?  That sounds so MAJOR!!!!!  (Thanks for responding to me so quickly and for sharing your expertise!!!!)