Honored Contributor

After Updating to 10.12.6 and Safari...

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I updated my MacBook Air to 10.12.6, and I also updated Safari.  Today I've been to two different websites and not been able to pull up something.  I first went to a website that had a video that I couldn't pull up.  It said "Error Establishing A Database Connection."

Next I went to Blue Cross's Medicare website and wanted to pull up the 2018 Rx information and couldn't.  I had gotten my Medicare booklet that said the info was on the website.  When I tried to pull it up it said "404-File Or Directory Not Found."  

Could one of the new updates possibly be the reason that I can't pull these up?  I know I can call Blue Cross to send me this information, but I hope this isn't going to happen with other websites.

@dooBdoo can you help me with this please?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: After Updating to 10.12.6 ...

[ Edited ]

@NickNack,  Those errors normally indicate a problem on the site visited.   Also, sometimes it's an issue with our DNS server settings.   However, since you had problems with 2 different sites, and it only began after this update -- that makes me wonder if it's a problem with the way your device is "talking" to the websites.   I'd start with the quickest, easiest first step by shutting down and rebooting the computer and also by trying a different browser.   If you're using Safari, the newer version might be the source of the problem.  

If another browser works, go back to the browser that had the trouble (which I'm guessing was Safari), delete all cookies/cache/website data, quit the browser and relaunch.    If you still see the errors after trying all these things, please let us know -- we have a wonderfully supportive group of posters here, and I know someone will have the solution for you.   

I have a feeling there's an important clue here I'm missing, but I can't put my finger on it...  I'm worried about someone who's very special to me and my brain isn't working well right now.   The basic troubleshooting steps might resolve this.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Do you have any add ons for safari? It does sounds like it's more a website issue that a browser issue though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JaxsMom wrote:

Do you have any add ons for safari? It does sounds like it's more a website issue that a browser issue though. 

@jaxs mom,   I agree, the sites definitely could be the culprits.   If it were only one site these errors usually are website problems.   With it being 2 different sites and starting up right after the software updates, hard to say.  Good point about the addons/extensions.image.gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the help @dooBdoo.  I tried getting into both websites on Chrome.  I was able to watch the video on the first website but still couldn't get to the Rx formulary at Blue Cross.

I next restarted my computer.  After that I could watch the video on Safari.  I still can't get into the Rx formulary on either Chrome or Safari, so I'll bet that's a problem with the Blue Cross website.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NickNack wrote:

Thank you so much for the help @dooBdoo.  I tried getting into both websites on Chrome.  I was able to watch the video on the first website but still couldn't get to the Rx formulary at Blue Cross.

I next restarted my computer.  After that I could watch the video on Safari.  I still can't get into the Rx formulary on either Chrome or Safari, so I'll bet that's a problem with the Blue Cross website.

@NickNack@jaxs mom

@NickNack,  You're welcome, but I didn't really help that much.  Great detective work!   I hope they'll get this corrected for you -- and for everyone.image.gif   Thanks for the update!

Honored Contributor

Restarting is always the first thing I do if I have a persistent problem. I know after IOS 11 this week  my car stereo was giving me an error message when trying to connect my iphone to it with USB. A quick restart of my phone solved it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval