Honored Contributor

I bought a new MacBook Air about a year and a half ago.  I debated about what to buy, too.  I came here and asked questions.  I'm so glad I went with the MacBook Air.  I love it!  There have been no problems with it at all.  I doubt I will ever buy another brand.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laptop choice?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I will NEVER buy another Dell computer.   I bought mine 27 months ago for about $600 and didn't buy the contract based on all the "glowing reviews".

To date, I have spent over $1,000 on repairs for this dud.   

My next laptop will be an HP ..... no more Dells for me!!

I use this site http://www.notebookcheck.net/ to help me research a new laptop. I look at the processor, GPU, display, wireless card, and even the speakers. I  will sometimes  look over the service manual.

I like to know the brand name of the parts inside a laptop. So, I can find a review online. A laptop does not just have a wireless card, but an Intel Dual Band  AC 8260.

Please find your own rules for a sale.

Honored Contributor

I'm on my second Dell.  First one lasted 8 or 9 years.  I'm on year 2 with the current one.  No issues.  At work we get HPs.  They work fine also.  We get a replacement every 4 years.

Honored Contributor

Once I went Apple, I never looked back.  It is worth the extra money.  I'm Apple for computers, ipads, ipods, phones, and watches.

Valued Contributor

After going through 4 different brands of laptops:  dell, acer, toshiba and hp, I have given up. The repair shop told me that nowadays they call windows laptops "Friday night specials" because they are thrown together like junk. So.....I bought a Macbook Pro 15" retina display. It was weird switching over from windows but it was the best thing I ever did. I totally LOVE this machine and couldn't be happier. That was 2 years ago.

Honored Contributor

I must add this .....    

My sister lives in NY and works for a company that purchases used computers, completely refurbishes them and sells them to businesses who often need to buy in large quantities.   They go out the door again with an excellent warranty.

According to one of their VPs, for every Hewlett Packard computer they buy, approximately 1 in 800 will be a "lemon" and cause them nothing but trouble.

With Dell, it's about 1 in every 20 will be a lemon.   

I guess "planned obsolescence" is everywhere .... sigh.

Honored Contributor

Thanks all, appreciate it. I think the majority of the problems are/started when 10 was put in. Now it won't shut off unless I alt/ctrl/del it. We need to take it in and see if something on it can be fixed or if we have to just get a new one. No Dell for me either (have Toshiba) I had Dell at one place I worked and what a CS headache. I swore I'd never have a Dell after all that. We have a Best Buy, so we may need to visit them. I really don't like it when things don't work how they're supposed to. Thanks again!

Super Contributor

Many thanks to all of you for the input.  Your posts have been invaluable in helping me decide which product to buy next.  No bias or hardsells; just honest advice.  Love these threads!!!

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Esteemed Contributor

We have a Toshiba Satellite.  No problems. Had it serviced once in 7yrs.  And the problem wasn't the computer, it was too many open probgrams running in the background.

Esteemed Contributor

@asoutherngirl wrote:

I must agree with some of the other posters:  stay away from Dell.

Amen to that! I hear that they only make computers that last only two years or less.