Honored Contributor

I recommend Apple and I also recommend getting their AppleCare service plan.  It's awesome knowing someone will answer even the most mundane of questionss when you call.

Valued Contributor

do not buy any computer from qvc why they are old models and if you want a new updated model you would find it here. they get the ones dells have left over they d o not tell you  that one. and give you a bunch of junk computer  porgrams you will never use.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC sells yesterday's technology today along with a bunch of cheap accessories you don't need just to make it seem like you are getting a deal. I've had Dell, HP and Apple and much prefer Apple. Buy it at a store and not on tv. That way if there is a problem you can take it back and not have to deal with shipping it and paying more money. I like knowing that if I need to hunt down someone to complain I can find them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

We're a "Mac" household.  iMac.  iPad.  iPhone.  We love Macs and their customer service and their tech support.

I'd recommend a Mac.  Go to the Apple website and see what they have to offer.  Or, if you live near an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller, look there and get some advice.  You can find addresses of Apple Retail Stores and Apple Authorized Resellers on the Apple website.

I DO NOT recommend purchasing an Mac product from ANY TV Shopping Channel.  You will always pay a price for "bundled stuff" that you don't need and you're never sure that what you're buying is the latest model.

Finally, I recommend that you purchase Apple Care to extend your warranty and service support.  I wouldn't trust ANY "third-party warranty/service plan" with my Mac. 

@qualitygal ...  We are also a "Mac"/"Apple" household.  And I must say that I agree with @Cats3000 100%.

Regular Contributor

Re: Laptop choice?

[ Edited ]

My recommendation is NOT to buy Dell.  I bought the Dell TSV near Xmas time, it's claims were tremendous, speed, latest technology.  Well, I got it & it was slower than my 4 yr old Toshiba & kept locking up - back it went.  I got a MacBook Air and it is fabulous.  You get what you pay for.  Also, I bought my Mac from an Apple Store.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just got a Toshiba Chromebook from Amazon and love it!  Previously had an HP laptop which lasted five years until it crashed.  I'm retired and don't need all the bells and whistles, plus we are not computer savvy.  The Toshiba is perfect for me.

Honored Contributor

I will NEVER buy another Dell computer.   I bought mine 27 months ago for about $600 and didn't buy the contract based on all the "glowing reviews".

To date, I have spent over $1,000 on repairs for this dud.   

My next laptop will be an HP ..... no more Dells for me!!

Valued Contributor

I've been using Dell for at least 20 years with no problem.  My first was a desktop that I kept for about 7 years and then got another Dell desktop as an upgrade.  After another 8 years, I decided to upgrade to a laptop which served me well for another 7 years, and then I upgraded to another Dell laptop with an i7 processor.  I purchased the desktops from Dell directly and both laptops from QVC.  No problem with any of them except the desire to upgrade to more powerful hardware.  I've also used a Dells at work since the 1990s.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a MacBook at work and I really don't like it.  I've gone through hours of training to learn all the little shortcuts, but the reality is it stalls, freezes, shuts itself down more than any computer I've ever used.  I've sent it back to IT staff to have them reset it, and it does okay for a few weeks then gets that spinning beachball again.  This has happened to several of us, so I know it's not just my computer.  I also don't care for the Mac flat keyboard.  If I bought another computer for personal use, I would probably avoid MacBook just because of the problems I've had with the one at work.  I love my iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone, but that's about all I want from Apple.

Honored Contributor

I did ok with Dell computers until they lied to me and I quit them.   Didn't like HP at all.  HP didn't seem to work well with other brands.  So my printer, camera (worst digi cam ever was the HP I owned!), and any other peripheral hardware had to be HP brand or I had big problems.

I like Toshiba a lot.  I also have a Lenovo that I like and a Sony VAIO that I also really like.

I've thought about Apple products but it costs about the same as four other nice laptops so I haven't made that move yet.     I get quite a few years out of my Toshibas.  My Lenovo is 5 years old.  My Sony VAIO is 3 years old.  Both also still going strong.