Honored Contributor

My laptop is acting up and I'm considering maybe a new one is needed soon. I'm looking for recommendations. I'm retired, so I don't need a bunch of special things. Excell and Word yes. I know it's a TSV item, so at 8 I'll have to watch it. I don't have a Dell that is TSV, and I'm not computer savvy, so like a car, I turn it on and want it to work.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Respected Contributor

Re: Laptop choice?

[ Edited ]

We're a "Mac" household.  iMac.  iPad.  iPhone.  We love Macs and their customer service and their tech support.

I'd recommend a Mac.  Go to the Apple website and see what they have to offer.  Or, if you live near an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller, look there and get some advice.  You can find addresses of Apple Retail Stores and Apple Authorized Resellers on the Apple website.

I DO NOT recommend purchasing an Mac product from ANY TV Shopping Channel.  You will always pay a price for "bundled stuff" that you don't need and you're never sure that what you're buying is the latest model.

Finally, I recommend that you purchase Apple Care to extend your warranty and service support.  I wouldn't trust ANY "third-party warranty/service plan" with my Mac. 

Esteemed Contributor
I have been buying Dell computers for years. I only buy the Dell XPS line of desktops or laptops, and Alienware laptop. I buy from Dell's site. If I wanted an Apple, I would buy direct or find a store.
Valued Contributor

sorry but do not buy dell laptops they do not last long? mine only last no more than 2 years. i will only buy apple now. apple customer service is great. cost more but i think they are worth the money.

Esteemed Contributor

Anything but a Dell product there CS is a nightmare to deal with. I like HP and Acer good customer service that is not in India which you can understand and the Techs are very nice to work with. Happy shopping. [And try to buy from the source I do not recommend ordering from  a shopping channel. They sell older models with software you will never need of want.]

Honored Contributor

Re: Laptop choice?

[ Edited ]

I'm an Acer user - my very first laptop was an Acer from Radio Shack in fact for almost $800 if I recall.  My current Acer is beautiful, a mere $500 top of the line from amazon.com.  What a buy.  I love this one, much nicer than my first one that lasted about 5-6 years.

My current is fast, no problems at all -  it's an Aspire V 15 Touch, soft silver matte finish.  First I'd highly recommend an Acer and I'd buy it from amazon.com. 

Let me also add that I'd have online conversations with the Acer teckie crew and they too are very responsive, professional, easy to work with, with satisfaction too.

Super Contributor

I must agree with some of the other posters:  stay away from Dell.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

Thanks you all. Been discussing it with my husband. Told him what you said, and glad I asked, since at one place I worked, I remember CS for Dell. But it could have changed by now. I don't think I want to chance  it, it was a real headache as I recall. Sorry to the one Dell person, thanks for your input too.

Honored Contributor

I'm into my 4th year with my Dell laptop which I bought from Costco after shopping on several fronts.  I did go to Apple, but to get the screen size I need with whatever else they were recommending (not so much -  Apple Care and a word-processing program as I remember) would have ended up about 3X the cost of my Dell.  What really sent me away was the sales associate's own words:  "If you buy Apple, you won't need a new computer for another 5 or 6 years."

OK, so far, I'm only 4 years in, but my Dell is still working and I still have money in the bank that I didn't spend 4 years ago.  There's enough there to buy 2 more Dells. I've used Apple, I've owned Apple, but for my needs, I just don't need to spend Apple dollars.

Honored Contributor

My idea and recommendation is to not buy it here and to not buy Dell or HP...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...