Honored Contributor

Oh, darn!     I am very careful where I place my keys, phone, etc.  But today my cell phone disappeared and I'm not sure if it's lost, misplaced ... or stolen.

I want to buy some time in case it reappears ..... will my carrier place my number "on hold" or something?     

Any suggestions as to what I should do .... before I give up and have to deal with buying a new one?

Respected Contributor

Ugghhh!  This is the worst feeling in the world.

Last time my phone died a horrible death (some bizare tech problem)  I called Verizon and over the phone they re-activated an old phone I had laying around the house.  They did it over the phone!  My voice mails and everything were ready for me to listen to.

When my replacment phone came it they switched the service to that phone.

Lesson- always keep an old cell phone around.

Trusted Contributor

I think freezing your phone depends on your provider You can put a freeze on lost/stolen phones with Verizon. I've had it happen twice, one time an actual theft and one time I dropped it outside my car in a busy metered parking lot. I retraced my steps and when I got to the parking lot, there it was on the ground.

dee

Respected Contributor

I would rather loose my wallet than my phone.

Honored Contributor

Well, I've stopped "panicing" and have a handle on things ... I think.

First, I went to my online Verizon account and suspended my account so no one can make calls and the phone can't be reactivated by whomever "found" it.

Secondly, I don't want to deal with a new phone right now, so I called Verizon to see if I could get my current exact phone again.  Nope, it's discontinued.   So I went on Ebay and found a couple of my exact phone for less than $35.

If I can't find mine by tonight or tomorrow morning, I'm going to order one and take it to Verizon to reactivate.

I keep thinking one of these days I want to get a Tracfone smart phone, but not now.    I need to get all my stored phone numbers recorded one way or another, and deal with the idea of a new phone another time.

Feels good to have a plan ....   did I forget anything? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LOST MY CELL PHONE !!!

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 Do you have an Android phone? If you do then all your contact numbers & photos would be backed up by google & accessible through your account.You could get the Tracphone & as soon as you log into Google your contacts will transfer over.

Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Make sure the phone you by off of Ebay is either unlocked or a Verizon 'verision' of the phone.

Other than that, you have a perfect plan.

I do not blame you, at this point the LAST thing I would want to deal with would be a new (different) phone.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Make sure the phone you by off of Ebay is either unlocked or a Verizon 'verision' of the phone.

Other than that, you have a perfect plan.

I do not blame you, at this point the LAST thing I would want to deal with would be a new (different) phone.

@Abrowneyegirl

Thanks!   Verizon warned me that it should be a Verizon phone, so I'm good.  It was $25, so even if I find the other one, I have a back up phone, just in case.   

Respected Contributor

I wish everybody in America would lose their cell phone 

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I wish everybody in America would lose their cell phone 

@Blingqueen023

Why would you feel that way?   Are you receiving too many phone calls?    I'm curious as to what's behind that comment.

Yes, some people spend too much time on theirs, but cell phones have also saved many people ....  stranded, car trouble, needing some sort of assistance.