Respected Contributor

IPad Air Pro2 and battery life question

I am new to the iPad. I was thrilled because it seems like I could use it for hours. DH wanted to test it for using GPS capabilities in his plane, so he charged it when it was down to 35%..

I got the notice that a new upgrade was ready, so I plugged it in and did that. I wonder if that was a good idea because after downloading it, it was repeating all the questions it asked when I was doing the initial set-up.

In short, it seems as if my battery power is draining rapidly. It was at 65% when I began writing this post, and it dropped to 63%. Is this normal?

DH told me he charges his every night, but he has an older 3G model. I know I read somewhere that it's better if you let it drain down to zero before charging-which does not sound practical.

Do you think I have a problem and should call Support, or is this normal and perhaps I'm taking notice of battery life because this is new to me.?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Super Contributor

Re: IPad Air Pro2 and battery life question

I have the same iPad. I find it depends upon what I do on any given day that determines how much and how fast the battery drains. If you play games, it will drain quickly. If you are on it all day long, it will drain faster than if you are not. If you play music or read books, it will go down quickly. One way to control the battery usage is to go into your settings and turn off constant background refresh on items where it is not necessary. For example, any apps, like TV Guide, where this is not really needed. I charge mine every night.

Honored Contributor

I have the IPad3, which I know is old. I get about 10 hours. I drain to 10% and then charge. I find the brightness affects mine. If I lower the brightness, it lasts longer than 10 hours.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Poodlepet2!

Not sure which iPad you have, because there is no "Air Pro 2."  There is an Air 2 and there is a Pro, presuming the 9.7".

For any major OS upgrade (yours might not have been up to date with all of them even before the recent update, out of the box) you will need to (and should) go into all your Settings and make sure they're still what you want and if not, put them back the way you want them. And make sure your Bluetooth is off. For several updates, when the installation was complete, my BT was always on and I had to remember to shut it off.

If it's being used for GPS that will eat battery life. The GPS should be on only while you're using it to get somewhere and then turned off.

Battery life depends on so many things! One of the biggest, if not the biggest drain is always having the screen set at full brightness. I have mine (in the house) at half or less 90% of the time unless I'm editing photos or watching a vid. Another might be leaving wifi on - it should only be left on when you're somewhere that has wifi you're actively using.

I use my Pro about 12-13 hrs a day. I'll usually charge it at 20% depending on circumstances. Sometimes I leave it plugged in as I'm using it. Sometimes I'm paying no attention and I'll get the 10% warning - I figure that's good for it once in a while - but it's recommended not to let it get that low all the time. Partial charges don't hurt the battery or lessen the battery life on the type of battery iPads use.

Do go through ALL your app settings to be sure you haven't given a bunch of them permission to keep updating in the background. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-ways-to-improve-ipad-battery-life/

https://www.lifewire.com/best-ipad-battery-life-tips-1999807

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Thank you @Moonchilde!  I will check the brightness and see if that helps. I finally activated Seri and I'm having a ball: she is far more interactive and intelligent than Alexa-but she uses a lot of battery life. 

I have the 9.7" screen, and I swear when I bought it from Amazon, it was"iPad Air Pro 2"... but in the understated elegance of the Zen box it came in, there was no title written on it....

DH couldn't use it anyway: his hope was to have it as backup for his backup GPS in addition to the GPS and radar on the control console or dashboard.

He bought his iPad exclusively for that purpose, but the flight software on his suddenly stopped working. I don't understand how mine could possibly work because it's Wi-Fi dependent as opposed to his which can work anywhere. I don't need an explanation: that would be wasted on me- but clearly, he is the High Tech Maven in this house!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2"IPad Air Pro2"

No such device.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif