Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle needs replacing. Help needed with decision.

it sounds like you want a tablet; the Amazon app is available to download on any device. This could be an iPad for example, it doesn't have to be a Kindle.

I read my kindle books on my Mac Air, my iPhone, and my iPad.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mizglitz

A big  difference in the Paperwhite and the Fire tablet is that the Paperwhite will allow you to read books in direct sunlight.

I brought a new Fire 10 plus tablet with an Amazon case during Prime Day. The Amazon case was expensive, but very nice quality.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

it sounds like you want a tablet; the Amazon app is available to download on any device. This could be an iPad for example, it doesn't have to be a Kindle.

books are so much better on the bigger screen but if you don't have an iPad it's a moot point 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

books are so much better on the bigger screen but if you don't have an iPad it's a moot point 

the point I was making was that if they were already planning to buy a device, you don't have to get a Kindle, any device can download the Kindle app. My iPhone is almost the size of a paperback.  I like reading on my laptop because I don't have to hold it up like you do a tablet.   

Regular Contributor

Hi Mizglitz:  if you are looking to replace your Kindle, I would say go for it and get the Oasis. I have had several Kindles over the yearsincluding the latest Paperwhite, but have to say the Oasis is my favorite. To me it is much like reading a book in the way it feels and reads. The page is larger, there is the ability to adjust the light, and it just feels better in my hand. I have one Kindle that "lives" at home and a second for my purse. When it comes time to replace, I will get a second Oasis. As far as your books migrating over from your old one, yes, they do. It is a very easy setup and as a previous poster noted, your books will always be available in your Amazon kindle library. I delete them from my kindle to to the Amazonlibrary after I've read one. To me it just keeps the clutter down on my kindle..some people have suggested reading on your iPad with the kindle app. I have that as well and have never used it. To me it is a bulky and heavy way to read. I don't have a Fire so can't speak to that, but I like having a designated reader. To each his own,😄  I think there is usually a trade in option available on Amazon. It's very easy to set up. Good luck and happy reading