Contributor

Kindle needs replacing. Help needed with decision.

My kindle recently died, and I need to purchase a new one. Should I get a Fire or should I get the Oasis or just get a plain Kindle. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages ( other than cost) And another question...how do I get my books back? I'm assuming you don't lose your books, or I'm really upset. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Kindle needs replacing. Help needed with decision.

All I have ever had are paper whites , so I can't help there, however, the books you purchased are in the Amazon cloud and always available in your Amazon acct. under content and devices. You never lose your books .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I have the newest Oasis and love it. 

I also have the Fire tablet, but it's very heavy and I never really used it to read books ~ 

That warm light feature on the Oasis is fantastic. 

Of course, it's pricier, but worth the money. I also took advantage of the trade-in discount, but I'm not sure if they still have that. 

Valued Contributor

I have had a Fire for years and love it. It began to act up so my husband purchased me a Samsung Tablet.  Honestly, I like the Fire better and may still get another.  My books show up on all my devices, Fire, Tablet, phone (installed the kindle app).  I love having the app on my phone because if I get stuck someplace I didn't plan on I can always pull up a book.

Honored Contributor

I have the Paperwhite and the Oasis.   I can't really tell you why but I like the Oasis better.  I also use the IPad Mini for reading too.

Make sure your Kindle or Oasis can connect to Bluetooth so you can listen to books as well as read.  GREAT for Whispersync from Amazon. 

Esteemed Contributor

Big Kindle/Fire fan ( I have bought total of 18 ( for me and immediate family) these devices since they first came out in 2008(?); first Kindle was $400!  Currently use latest edition Fire 8 and 10; 8 for being out and about and 10 for at home.  You won't lose your books; just go to " manage my devices" on home page and easy directions to transfer to another device.  I try to buy replacements when they are on sale, such as recent Prime Day (Fire 8 was $45 and Fire 10 was $79).  Bet there's a sale for Labor Day.  Also I sometimes buy new, latest edition Fires on EBay ( just look at seller feedback).  Fires are no longer heavy but not as light as DHs new Samsung 7 plus ( $750).

Trusted Contributor

I have not owned a kindle, but I adore my Fire Tablet, 10". I have all but abandoned my laptop. 

Emails are easy to check and delete. The graphics and screen definition are great. The Amazon Silk browser is more than adequate. Sound is clear. The books I have downloaded from Prime and the films come in with great clarity.

Honored Contributor

@Mizglitz I'm well into my 2nd Paper White and wouldn't have anything else! I have about 600 books on it and just love love it. You books are stored in the cloud and it's easy to get them onto your new device. 

Honored Contributor

@Mizglitz wrote:

My kindle recently died, and I need to purchase a new one. Should I get a Fire or should I get the Oasis or just get a plain Kindle. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages ( other than cost) And another question...how do I get my books back? I'm assuming you don't lose your books, or I'm really upset. Thanks in advance for any help. 

if you have an ipad you can read your books there, which is what I use, much easier 

all your books are in "manage your content tab" tied to your account 

Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I checked and the trade-in is still available- even if the device doesn't work. So every little savings helps. I'll look at my options. I'm so glad that I won't lose my books.