Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUST BOUGHT A CHROMEBOOK

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @apple1964 .  

I shall call Amazon:  it was a renewed which I assumed was a refurbished.  

I never heard of Linux but will look into it.  It just seems these devices should have a much longer lifespan - just environmentally sound, imho.

Thanx again!

I was very surprised and very uoset when I heard about the lifespan with Chrome books but as I said computer devices do not last as long  with software updates and virus protections windows also has its lifespan end also. Good luck as I said amazon will help you as they have helped me. and you are very welcome goldenlocks.

Esteemed Contributor

WOW!  JUST AMAZED!  

I know this is sort of OT, but just have to sayWoman Very Happy

I just checked my order status on Amazonsmile and the chromebook that I ordered Sunday nite will be delivered by 8p.m. tomorrow!

How's that for service!Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this!  I too had no idea CBs die.   The list has very few that will be biting the dust soon.  The way tech goes, this might be changed eventually, but then, it is not so catastrophic to get a new computer every now and then.Robot Very Happy

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mindy D 

This might help answer your questions about CBs:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3265094?hl=en

Google Docs replaces Microsoft Word.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday HSN had a HP Chromebook TS. I watched several of their presentations and not once did they ever mention the 'end of life' policy for Chromebooks. No wonder people are stunned when they find out about that...especially after they actually buy one then find out.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

Chrome Books are awesome for what they are. If you are sick of Windows, then these will be like a breath of fresh air. They are like Apple products in that they have a lifespan though. What may be helpful is if there is a group who is into "jail breaking" CBs and if you are willing to learn about that kind of thing. I have not gotten into them enough yet to go find that out, but I can't imagine that you can jailbreak Android and iOS devices, but not Chrome devices. So, there is probably a group out there somewhere that is into extending the life of their CBs and has a forum home to discuss it all.

CBs operate with a portion of the Linux operating system. It is possible to download the full version of Linux onto a CB and get continuous updates that way without losing it's security features. I only know about this from reading bits of info on the internet. I have not used device with Linux installed on it.

You are correct but, not all CB's will be able to install the Linux operating system. My Lenovo will not but my Asus will. Which is strange because my Lenovo is a newer model. I think it has something to do with the chip in the lenovo or something?  My lenovo has a little different operationg system then my Asus does. All and all bummer. I think it is called mega something or other.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have an HP Chromebook that I bought in August 2015.  It's still going strong.  

I had no idea these computers had an expiration date.  

Glad I saw this post.  Where is the end of life date on the laptop?

TIA

You have to look up the experation date online. each brand has a different date.Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

I got an acer chromebook a few weeks ago to try, never had one.

It got stuck on a key that typed the same letter over and over. Plus a few other issues and acer support couldnt help with any of these issues, so I had to take it back to the store. I liked it so much at first though.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I contacted them via FB and asked that question and they had no idea what I was talking about.  They thought I was asking when the TS pricing ended.  Smiley Frustrated  Also, they had no model # listed so I could not find the exp date on my own.  No purchase for  me, moving on.  Not seeing alot of positive comments on the HP's anyway. Continuing to do my research.  I have a couple of more months before my Windows receives no more updates or support.   I appreciate all the information and comment you have provided on this topic here.