Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUST BOUGHT A CHROMEBOOK

So in other words, @SilleeMee , Google will not let you buy additional update programs:  all chromebooks are good for a maximum of 5 years (if purchased brands new)?

Not sure if gonna cancel or not.  My HP's don't last five yearsWoman Sad!  So it equals out I guess, but wanted something that lasted more than a year or two.  Oh well, thanks for all upir help, @SilleeMee .

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

So in other words, @SilleeMee , Google will not let you buy additional update programs:  all chromebooks are good for a maximum of 5 years (if purchased brands new)?

Not sure if gonna cancel or not.  My HP's don't last five yearsWoman Sad!  So it equals out I guess, but wanted something that lasted more than a year or two.  Oh well, thanks for all upir help, @SilleeMee .

@eddyandme 

When it comes to CBs, you literally get what you pay for as far as their lifespan is concerned. Older models will expire sooner so many of those will go on sale. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, I figured renewed meant refurbished/returned - lesson learned.  

Works out the same in the end (on sale/brand new).  Guess we just have a disposable society:  everyone's switching to paper straws, yet,  plastic laptops have a 5yr lfespan - gotta love itWoman Wink.

But Thanx, @SilleeMee , now I understand and realize that' a good  brand so will probebly stick with it!

Esteemed Contributor

I have had the model you have purchased about a year ago I ordered a new HP Chrome book. which I love. I think you will love it. Long battery life built in virus protection and we have the game store now. No need to power up when opening these devices just open the lid and you are ready to go to the internet. I will never go back to dreaded windows again I just love the Chromebook. [ And cloud based games will be coming in the future.]  

Esteemed Contributor

You can go online and do a search about this which is a real bummer. On the other hand with all devices windows included if you get more then four years your ahead of the game,  that is the life expectioncy of all computers nowadays. And windows also has a point with there devices on how long windows will continue to support them. I will change to linux and see what happens when my devices come to the end of the support. 

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @SilleeMee .  I did not know about that site.  

Before it expires, can I renew the update/coverage?  If not, perhaps I should cancel and purchase a new one.  

You can call Amazon and ask them about the model number also the experation date. They are very nice and helpful over the phone when I had my issues. You said you orfered a refurbished CB that can mean perhaps the date will be changed too. I am sure they will be able to answer all your questions, Go on line and get the model numbers for when you call Amazon.  Just search end of coverage with goggle with CBs. And then you will know which models to order.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @apple1964 .  

I shall call Amazon:  it was a renewed which I assumed was a refurbished.  

I never heard of Linux but will look into it.  It just seems these devices should have a much longer lifespan - just environmentally sound, imho.

Thanx again!

Contributor

I'm in my 4th year with an Acer Chromebook 15.  I love it and would hate to ever go back to a Windows based computer.

Recently my granddaughter's HP was having major problems and would cost over $300 for repairs and the HP was only 2 yrs old.  She bought a chromebook through Costco for $229 and is very happy with it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@summer4me wrote:

I'm in my 4th year with an Acer Chromebook 15.  I love it and would hate to ever go back to a Windows based computer.

Recently my granddaughter's HP was having major problems and would cost over $300 for repairs and the HP was only 2 yrs old.  She bought a chromebook through Costco for $229 and is very happy with it.  

my third HP, @summer4me , in about 6 years - that's why I'm switching to Chromebook - got this laptop at Target little over a year ago -it's really a Chromebook in disguise!  Can't stop Windows updates, unable to transfer them to flashdrive and end result battery needs replacement - so I'm switching!

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for this thread. I’m so sick of Windows. My laptop gets no use at all because it’s such a pain. I’ve only been using my iPad and I’ve been wondering about a Chromebook. I learned a lot from this thread. Since the CB is Google based, I’m assuming that Google’s productivity software, such as Google Docs is compatible with it. What about MS Word?  Is there a version of Word made for Chromebook?