Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered an Acer Intel Quad Core with 4GB memory, 32 GB SSD from Amazon Renewed so it has a ninety-day return policy.

Never used a Chromebook; nor, have I bought a "renewed" item from Amazonsmile.

After reading many reviews online, it seemed to me the brands/models the reviewing company got a sales commission on were the ones they scored the best.  I could be wrong, but the site would send you to where you could purchase the item for more details; which translates imo to a skewed review.

I was wondering if any of my fellow friends here, if familiar with this brand or model, could give me your opinions, which I value.

Thanx!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: JUST BOUGHT A CHROMEBOOK

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

Congrats on your CB purchase. Did you check the model number against the corresponding end-of-life dates? That's what I would check right away to see if you have one that will be operational for a reasonable amount of time. What is the model number anyway? I own 2 Acer CB, one is touchscreen with quad core and Google play...that's my newest, model is Acer Chromebook R13 CB5-312T-K95W Convertible Laptop and it can convert to a tablet, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Congrats on your CB purchase. Did you check the model number against the corresponding end-of-life dates? That's what I would check right away to see if you have one that will be operational for a reasonable amount of time. What is the model number anyway? I own 2 Acer CB, one is touchscreen with quad core and Google play...that's my newest.

No, @SilleeMee .  I just ordered it so don't have that info yet.  The Model is R11, it's white and folds different ways, if that helps.  It is touchscreen also.

I assum you must be pleased with Acer?!?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

Yes I like Acer's CBs. I looked around and found they are highly rated so that's what made me buy them. Looks like your 'R11' is a convertible...it can be used like a tablet. That's nice and I think you'll find that feature a convenience, especially with that touchscreen. Your CB will be updated until 6/2021...I checked.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Honored Contributor

I have one, I bought it 2 years ago for a very favorable price.  I don't know if it's your model but it is an Acer Chromebook .   It was brand new, not reconditioned.  I do love it.  And then....I found out about Chromebook's  "end of life" (from a poster on this board)  and I understood why I got it for such a low price.  My "end of life" was just a month or so after I found out about it.  I signed on one day and got an alert telling me that my "end of life" date was 30 days away and that after that date, my Chromebook would not receive any updates, including security updates. I still use it, nothing has changed but since there are no security updates now, I don't make purchases on it.  I don't do anything financial on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @SilleeMee .  I did not know about that site.  

Before it expires, can I renew the update/coverage?  If not, perhaps I should cancel and purchase a new one.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @SilleeMee .  I did not know about that site.  

Before it expires, can I renew the update/coverage?  If not, perhaps I should cancel and purchase a new one.  

@eddyandme 

You cannot change the exp date of a CB. After that exp date, your CB will still be usable but not secure and over time the operating system may not be compatible with newer software used throughout the internet. 

Trusted Contributor

yes i just got a message 3 days ago that this was my last update... i take it i cant really fo anything on my comp anymore?????? .. and i do shop on amazon and i have my banking info on mine...  i just bought a car........ i didnt want to have to get a new one so soon...

Honored Contributor

OK, so I know zip about computers.  My son-in-law owns a business where he deals with computer security.

I'm curious about this discussion.  So with the computer you guys are talking about you can't update it?  That seems strange?

He bought me some wing ding computer laptop (touch, etc) and I hated it.

I gave it back to him and he sent it to my other daughter because she needed a new computer.

I'm happy with my old old (maybe another old) laptop.  I have an IPAD and some other tablets but I still love for getting on her my old samsung laptop. 

My family thinks I'm crazy.  I don't keep much on this thing and he keeps the security (whatever) updated.

So, why can't you update this kind of computer?  Seems weird to me.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

ChromeBooks have a unique operating system. They are not Microsoft Windows based and are not compatible with Windows software. Google developed the CB operating system and Google updates CBs, not Microsoft. All CB updates are automatic and include security software updates. When you buy a CB then there is no need to purchase or load antivirus software. CBs come with securiy software built in them.