Respected Contributor

Is there any hope for this laptop?

Last night the screen went blank. It will boot up and there is a cursor but that is all. Blank screen. Suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is there any hope for this laptop?

I would disconnect everything and remove the battery. You can check the cooling vents for dust. Then replace the battery and plug it in. It may run. How old is this? Most times it is best to go shopping. I hope you have a backup of your data.

Respected Contributor

On 7/9/2014 nutmeg3 said:

How old is this? Most times it is best to go shopping.

About 2 years old.

I think you are right. That's probably what we will do. DD needs this for college and it has to be reliable.

Honored Contributor

Did you try to Google the symptoms? That's how I usually get answers to computer issues.

Respected Contributor

On 7/9/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Did you try to Google the symptoms? That's how I usually get answers to computer issues.

Thank you. Yeah, I think dh is working on that now. I often get faster and better answers on this board

Contributor

Sometimes when you boot it up, you can count the beeps (if you hear some) which can help to diagnose the problem...ie 7 beeps indicates a processor failure
Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone. I am reading all your suggestions and trying them all.

I wouldn't mind buying a new one but don't want that stinkin' windows 8! Or 8.1 or any 8 anything LOL.

Honored Contributor

You can still get computers with Windows 7 from some manufacturers and retailers. I know that Toshiba still offers some with Win 7.

The good thing, however, is that if you don't like the silly looking Win8 you can install Classic Shell (classicshell.net) and make it look like WinVista or Win7. It's a tiny little install and just gives you choices on how you would like things like the start menu and numerous other things to look, so that they are more familiar to you and it's easier to find stuff.

My husband and I each have one Windows 8.1 computer and I set them both up. It's perfectly good and the only reminder I have of the tile screen thing is when I first turn it on.

Respected Contributor

On 7/9/2014 chickenbutt said:

You can still get computers with Windows 7 from some manufacturers and retailers. I know that Toshiba still offers some with Win 7.

The good thing, however, is that if you don't like the silly looking Win8 you can install Classic Shell (classicshell.net) and make it look like WinVista or Win7. It's a tiny little install and just gives you choices on how you would like things like the start menu and numerous other things to look, so that they are more familiar to you and it's easier to find stuff.

My husband and I each have one Windows 8.1 computer and I set them both up. It's perfectly good and the only reminder I have of the tile screen thing is when I first turn it on.

That's interesting. Thank you.

Super Contributor

What do you mean by blank? What is the color of the screen, blue or black? If it is a blue screen with white font then that is probably hard drive failure. If it's just a black screen, and all you see is the cursor, then it is something else.