Respected Contributor

Thinking of getting this for travel to Europe and using for emailing home and taking pics.

Anyone own one?  The newest model seems quite nice and I have read many positive reviews on various sites.

I own Macbook Air and I believe I can sync between the two devices.

I have an older Fire Tablet but it is VERY slow and pics are not so great.   Time to upgrade I think!?

Super Contributor

@bargainsgirl, I have an iPad mini 4 (not cellular) and I like it. It’s a nice size and easier to travel with. If you have a an iPhone or other smartphone, you can use them as a hotspot if WiFi isn’t available or you don’t want to use public WiFi. It should sync well with your MacBook Air.  I think Apple might be coming out with a newer mini this year. I would get as much storage as you can afford, that would be more important to me than having cellular. There is a monthly charge for the cellular from your carrier. Maybe not all, but I would definitely check if that’s important to you. My understanding is that WiFi is available all over Europe to send emails and photos. You might be able to use the cellular part in Europe, I would check. I have a 9.7” iPad Pro with cellular and very rarely use it. I’m going to cancel and use my phone as a hotspot. Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

I love my mini IPad and use it more than anything else.  Works well with the IPad and Macbook Air.  I read on it, check mail on it and use it all the time.  So does DH. 

Esteemed Contributor

Make sure you it has an international SIM card.  @bargainsgirl 

Esteemed Contributor

You should check the cost of cell service on iPad in Europe.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

You should check the cost of cell service on iPad in Europe.

I was about to post the same information.  You will need a phone plan when you go to Europe which includes talk, text and data.  You will wipe out all of it with one photo sent over a cellular connection.  What you need to use a free Wifi for connecting the the internet and sending photos.  Most places have free Wifi just like in the States.