Esteemed Contributor

Should I add Adobe Reader to my MacBook Pro?

I was sent an attachment which I can’t open.  Any reason why I shouldn’t add it?

When I retired I went all Apple products including the MacBook.  Figured I was done with committee meetings and document sharing.  I am now on three committees.  🙄. LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I add Adobe Reader to my MacBook Pro?

[ Edited ]

You provided no details.

What was the attachment suffix? 

Which app did you use to open?

What error did you receive when you tried to open?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Adobe Reader is safe, just be sure you go directly to Adobe to download it and don't follow a link in the attachment you can't open. Bad guys will sometimes send gibberish with a fake link to a site like Adobe Reader where you'll download malware instead of Reader.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom@gardenman@Mz iMac

Yes!

But be sure to heed @gardenman s advice.

I installed Adobe Reader and Writer? (Which came with it) and was pleased.

Did not have the usual McAfee undeletable program problem with IPad. I do not have a MacBook Pro, but instead I use iPad. 

It works great (Adobe). 

Needed it to fill out extensive forms from GI last summer prior to routine colonoscopy.HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom@Lilysmom@Mz iMac

The attachments I received which necessitated installing Adobe Reader were .PIF. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac, the document was an application sent to me by a person in my Municipal government.  It is a PDF file.  When I click on the link it says if the document doesn’t load you can download Adobe Reader at the address below.  You must copy and paste the link.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.  

I am working on a beautification project for one of our neighbourhoods.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Mz iMac, the document was an application sent to me by a person in my Municipal government.  It is a PDF file.  When I click on the link it says if the document doesn’t load you can download Adobe Reader at the address below.  You must copy and paste the link.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.  

I am working on a beautification project for one of our neighbourhoods.  LM

You should be able to open it with Preview.  Download the file, right click on it, select open with and select Preview from the list.  You may have the option to always use the program for these files (I can't remember the exact wording) and your computer will use Preview with all PDF files.  I had Adobe installed and found the new version so cumbersome, I uninstalled it. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom"It is a PDF file.  When I click on the link it says if the document doesn’t load you can download Adobe Reader at the address below."

Do not go that address.  Always download your apps directly fromg the Apple Store and/or directly from the manufacturer/vendor's website-->Adobe Acrobat in your case.

That being said......

glb is correct.  Preview opens PDF files.  To get it to do so for all your PDF files:

Highlight (single click) the PDF file>File>Get Info>Open With

Select Preview

Click the "Change All" button.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at Fri, Feb 8, 2019-8.55.35 AM.png

If you do download AR & want AR to open all your PDF files, do the same mapping as above except you "select" AR instead of Preview.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613@Mz iMac, you guys are gems💕!!!  Thank you for taking the time to help me find a solution.

I will copy and save your instructions.

I ended up sending this to a committee member who uploaded it to google drive.  I can work on the application from there.  LM

Respected Contributor

I've had MacBooks and iMacs.  I've used Adobe Reader longer than I can remember.  Never had a problem.

Download it ONLY from the Adobe website.  When it's loaded and installed choose the option that allows automatic updates.  That way you'll always have the newest version.

On occasion, you'll get a message tellimg you to update.  Don't click on any links there.  Always check for updates using your version installed. 

'