Respected Contributor

I installed this on my iPad Pro.  It really slowed everything down.  I went to settings and turned off a lot of background refresh on most of my apps and it really helped speed things up again.

Wondering if there is a downside to turning off backaground refresh?  Comments welcome.  S

Formerly Lilysmom

Honored Contributor

background refresh uses up a lot of battery and resources I turn if off .  unless it's something I need read about how it works and then decide

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @jackthebear  

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear , @godi  thanks.  On my reading list for today.  It made a huge difference in response time.  S

Formerly Lilysmom

Honored Contributor

there is info out there as to what happens when we upgrade the OS  it will explain why yr phone/pad appears to slow down,  

you can look for the link as the last time I looked it was ios 10

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1@jackthebear@godi 

Good morning!

I agree about turning off Background App Refresh.  I don't use it for any of my apps.   

Also, several times a day I close all the apps running in background (this is different from the Background App Refresh). 

An important consideration immediately after installing a new operating system version:   

The installation/update is not really "complete" when our download/install says it's complete.   

The device's operating system has to finish the task with its own "background" activities -- reindexing files, etc.   

It's going to keep updating your device for a while, and that will slow it down, but it's temporary.

The length of time this takes will vary depending upon how much you have saved on your iPad. 

This background update also can drain a bit of the battery, so keep that in mind.   

This is good time to look at your iPad Storage, under "General" in the Settings, and see if you might want to clear out some things you're not using. 

Other tips include:

•  installing all subsequent updates -- if you installed iPadOS 14.0, there are other 14.x follow-ups that fix bugs and can make a positive difference -- the most current today is iPadOS 14.2;

•  restarting your device;

•  updating all of your apps;

•  turning off Bluetooth when not in use;

•  turning off automatic app updates (in Settings under App Store);

•  disabling Automatic Updates in General Settings;

•  turning off any app Notifications that you don't need;

and

•  performing a backup/sync on a regular basis (clears out "analytics" diagnostic data, frees up storage space, can improve performance).   

There are other things to do if specific apps or specific functions are slow, but the above list is a pretty good start for an iPad that seems to be sluggish overall.   

Hope this helps!   Be safe and well, everyone.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo @jackthebear  thank you, so helpful as always.  S

AKA Lilysmom

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed with the first 14, but not later ones, they do some little setting changes.  Did not notice a change in speed, but had to go back thru settings.