Respected Contributor

HP Instant/Free Printer Ink Program Hacked

[ Edited ]

If you are on one of these programs, you probably already know about this. The security breach was so severe that if you do not update your printer firmware by November 14, you will be permanently cut off. The firmware update must be downloaded from the HP website while your printer is online. Don't bother calling HP -- they'll just transfer you to a message that tells you to go online and then hangs up.

Respected Contributor

Re: HP Instant/Free Printer Ink Program Hacked

thank you for the heads up @PickyPicky3   my printer has been offline for a while now and i did not know about this.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this info.  My fairly new HP printer died last month and I can't figure out what happened!  One notice I got was that the printer driver was "fried" --  but I don't know what to do about that!  Don't laugh at me, because I don't know much about computers and printers!

Here is my question for you kind people who can help me ---  is the printer driver in my computer, or in the printer itself?  I am wondering whether I need a new desktop computer or a new printer in order to have a new printer driver??  Thanks for your help!!  And stop laughing, please!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Drivers can be in both, printer and/or comp.

Go on HP website, look up your model printer then go to its "software download" website.  Follow the detailed directions on how to download all the drivers and/or firmware listed for your model printer. 

If it's not needed, you'll know.

You really need to make it your business to read the user manual.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I have not had any notification about this. Do you mean the program where you pay monthly, and HP sends you out Ink refills when your system needs it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

Thanks for this info.  My fairly new HP printer died last month and I can't figure out what happened!  One notice I got was that the printer driver was "fried" --  but I don't know what to do about that!  Don't laugh at me, because I don't know much about computers and printers!

Here is my question for you kind people who can help me ---  is the printer driver in my computer, or in the printer itself?  I am wondering whether I need a new desktop computer or a new printer in order to have a new printer driver??  Thanks for your help!!  And stop laughing, please!!  LOL

@123SuzyQ123

Try getting your printer to work before going shopping.

Windows 10 will automatically install a driver for a printer, and so will Windows 8.1. 

Shut down your computer, and disconnect the printer. This means all cables and power cord. 

The reconnect the printer and plug it into a power outlet.

Turn your computer on making sure it is connected to the internet. The printer will search for a driver to use with your version on of windows. 

An HP printer uses a driver and a management program. Please check for this software. 

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I have not had any notification about this. Do you mean the program where you pay monthly, and HP sends you out Ink refills when your system needs it. 

@icezeus

You may want to contact HP for more information

Trusted Contributor

@Re: HP Instant/Free Printer Ink Program Hacked

@Nuttmeg,  thank you so very much for this info!! I will give it a try, and thanks again, I appreciate your help!