Respected Contributor

ALERT -- "Stealer" Autofiller Malware

I've been drowning in tech problems this week. First the UPS MyChoice. Then my car hatchback door kept locking itself. (It needed a new battery. What a way to let me know!)

And now this. I had never heard of stealer autofiller malware.

I was ordering some housewares online from a regional Pennsylvania- area department store where I have a store credit card. I don't store credit or password information on any site. When I entered the first letters of my first name, my whole first name appeared. When I clicked on Last Name, my last name appeared.

My address. Phone number. And then when I clicked on Payment, my complete Mastercard number including expiration date, but not security code. Whoa! I never use my MC on that site. I stopped completely.

Called MC. Called department store. Cleared cookies and "filled in info" cache. Ran a Microsoft security check which showed nothing amiss.

Tried ordering again. Same thing happened.

I Googled "credit card info appearing without entering when ordering online."  Learned about stealer autofiller malware.

Went to Malwarebytes.com and downloaded their free software. Ran their scan. Discovered 11 PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) and quarantined them.

Tried ordering housewares again. Autofiller gone.

Whew! Something new every day.

Valued Contributor

Re: ALERT -- "Stealer" Autofiller Malware

Thanks for the info.  How do you know that Malwarebytes. com is safe to download from and what do you mean by "quarantined"?

Respected Contributor

I have the Premium version of Malwarebytes on all my devices - even my iphone.  Not expensive and very effective.

I had significant problems on my laptop before I did this a few years ago - no problems at all since.  Highly recommend.  Google it.

Respected Contributor

@D Kay - I did some research on Malwarebytes, was satisfied, and just decided to do it. Security software can discover the presence of viruses and malware in your computer and wall it off, keeping it separate from other computer activity.   

Honored Contributor

Malwarebytes will find those PUPs all the time. They are usually not malicious but will slow your computer down.

We have the paid version for free since we paid the one time fee years ago.

If you want to download it go to file hippo.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel   Thanks for letting us know. Please tell me if I've got this right:

With the free Malwarebytes, you get 2 trial weeks of Premium. After that, I must run their scan myself. With Premium, it runs continuously 24/7.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

With the free Malwarebytes, you get 2 trial weeks of Premium. After that, I must run their scan myself. With Premium, it runs continuously 24/7.

@PickyPicky3   I have free Malwarebytes.  I just checked, and mine automatically updated this morning.  I then checked my settings, and it's automatically set to scan every hour and will automatically quarantine potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've had MalwareBytes for years. It's such a simple program to use. It was first recommended to me by Apple Tech Support. Seems Apple recommends you don't operate without it.

I have the free version. I just run a scan almost every day. It just takes a minute. Luckily, I've remained clear. It updates to current version by itself, even with the free version.  

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 

Not sure.  It's been awhile since I had the free version - but I thought it did scans on its own.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I've had MalwareBytes for years. It's such a simple program to use. It was first recommended to me by Apple Tech Support. Seems Apple recommends you don't operate without it.

I have the free version. I just run a scan almost every day. It just takes a minute. Luckily, I've remained clear. It updates to current version by itself, even with the free version.  

@BlueFinch   Everyone needs a malware scanner like Malwarebytes.