Respected Contributor

After 6 years of using only Apple devices, I bought a used Windows 7 notebook computer.  Why?  Well, there are some old games I'd like to play which are not compatible with the OS versions I have on my Apple computers.  These games are old and not compatible with an operating system newer than Windows 7.  My question is, what is the best free antivirus software?  I have a lifetime code number for Malwarebytes I should be able to use for malware.  I don't plan on using the computer much but I will be online line to download games. 

I also ran into some serious compatibility issues while working on a project where everyone was using Microsoft Office except me.  I might have an occasion to use Office on it.  I hope I can find my Office software.  If not, there are free suites I can use.  Thanks and I'm sure it will feel like I'm starting from scratch. 

Respected Contributor

AVG and Avast are both good. One of those and Malwarebytes and you should be covered.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, another vote for AVG.  LM

Honored Contributor

What about downloading the antivirus software that usually comes as an option from your isp? There will be no extra charge for loading it since you pay for the service anyway.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

What about downloading the antivirus software that usually comes as an option from your isp? There will be no extra charge for loading it since you pay for the service anyway.

I've never checked to see what, if anything, comes with mine. I'll look and see if it's something I want.  I've had McAfee and Norton in the past and don't want either one now.  

Honored Contributor

Windows own antivirus is pretty decent these days. It should already be on your computer and should be adequate as long as you're using reasonable safe searching practices.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Windows own antivirus is pretty decent these days. It should already be on your computer and should be adequate as long as you're using reasonable safe searching practices.

I don't think Windows 7 comes with it's own antivirus but,  I'll look.  BTW, trying to download programs for Windows on a Mac is not easy.  The sites automatically try to direct me to the OS version of a program.  Thanks everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I don't think Windows 7 comes with it's own antivirus but,  I'll look.  BTW, trying to download programs for Windows on a Mac is not easy.  The sites automatically try to direct me to the OS version of a program.  Thanks everyone. 

It should have Windows Defender built in and possibly Windows Security Essentials also. You should still be able to download Windows Security Essentials for free if your PC doesn't already have it. Later versions of Windows 7 included Security Essentials, but some of the earlier versions didn't.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

It should have Windows Defender built in and possibly Windows Security Essentials also. You should still be able to download Windows Security Essentials for free if your PC doesn't already have it. Later versions of Windows 7 included Security Essentials, but some of the earlier versions didn't.

I'll check it out.  I really believe I've forgotten everything I knew about Windows. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, since I bought the MacBook Pro, I haven’t used Windows much either.  I fixed an issue on my brothers Windows computer but it took me longer than it should have. Happy gaming.  LM