Honored Contributor

Re: Horrible Frightening E-Mail Threat Received

@spumoni99 wrote:

Last week my husband wrote a 500 dollar check, we had both cars detailed.  A few days ago he got a text telling him to respond Y if the check was legit, it was scary.  I called the bank and it was legitimate.  I was surprised the bank contacted us that way.

@spumoni99 

In order to avoid fraud, my B of A always texts me to verify any large checks I write.   Maybe I signed up for it, but don't recall doing so, specifically.

Not scary, and i'm glad they take that step to keep us safe.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

Last week my husband wrote a 500 dollar check, we had both cars detailed.  A few days ago he got a text telling him to respond Y if the check was legit, it was scary.  I called the bank and it was legitimate.  I was surprised the bank contacted us that way.

@spumoni99 

In order to avoid fraud, my B of A always texts me to verify any large checks I write.   Maybe I signed up for it, but don't recall doing so, specifically.

Well since it was from an unknown number and I wasn't familiar it was scary to me.  I also googled it and the results indicated it was a scam.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

@spumoni99 

Well since it was from an unknown number and I wasn't familiar it was scary to me.  I also googled it and the results indicated it was a scam.

My boss rec'd a call on his cell the other day, caller ID showed Key Bank.

The man said he was needing to verify if we had approved some ACH payments.

My boss said he didn't recognize the name the payments were to be sent to.

He then asked my boss if he had access to our online account, that he needed him to go online with him.

LUCKILY, he has NO clue how to do our banking online...only I do.  Doesn't even know the passwords.

He told the guy he didn't have computer access and ended the call.

The entire call was a scam. 

We had NO suspicious activity going on.  I check the online activity every day....

How they are able to get the caller ID to be fraudulent is beyond me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago, after my mothers computer was hacked again, we spoke with her bank.  She had additional measures taken to ensure any out of the country parties trying to take out money automatically be denied.

She also set up some additional security measures for her online banking since we weren't sure just how much the hackers knew.

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@spumoni99 Yes, the banks are doing this more often with checks, if they see something out of the ordinary for the individual, AND for checks of higher amounts. I've received a couple myself recently. I'm glad they're doing this. Sadly, a sign of our times. We can never have enough protection these days.

I was just thinking the other day, that I'd need a personal assistant to track everything daily for breeches (I'm still struggling behind a major one), and a body guard (couple of nights ago someone tried to break into my neighbor's house in the middle of the night), to feel a bit safer. But the thieves would even find holes in upgraded protection, too. It's a nasty game and they're winning. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

-I don't know how to undo a deletion from junk mail. I use Microsoft Outlook. Anyone know a way?

Scroll up to Marp's 03-27-2024 01:12 PM response-1st paragraph.

-I don't know how to do a dark web scan. How do I start?

By using your search engine to post your question.  You will get step by step instructions.  It's FREE through Google.

@PickyPicky3 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 On my computer, I have a category beneath Inbox that says Deleted Items. Maybe it is there. On my IPad when I open the folders, there is one labeled Trash.

I hope you have a speedy resolution to this issue. I like the idea of involving the FBI cyber squad.

Respected Contributor

Mail deleted from Outlook junk mail is not recoverable. Good to know for the future.

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

If they could do something to you they would have already done it, don't let a threat ruin your peace of mind.  They are trying to scare you, don't let them win.

Unfortunately that is not true.

A few years back the company I buy furnace filters from was hacked and my information used. That set off almost two years of credit card issues -- starting four months after the hack. Getting scared moved me to run the scan. It's an alert and a good thing. 

Valued Contributor

Speaking of the dark web (which I just learned about when watching the Madeliene McCann story), why isn’t it being shut down?! It doesn’t make sense to me. The show was mentioning some of the things going on there and I was shocked! With all of the technology today, including how easily these hackers can access info, how is this still even a thing? Boggles my mind.