Respected Contributor

Horrible Frightening E-Mail Threat Received

[ Edited ]

Overnight I received an e-mail (thankfully in junk mail) threatening me unless I pay them bitcoin. A long, well-written letter using my real name. No links in the letter. This was just their introduction letting me know I would hear from them again. And nothing I might do would stop them from destroying me financially unless I pay.

(Where is the friendly Nigerian prince when you need him?)

I should have taken a screen shot before deleting.

I immediately did a Malwarebytes scan which found a PUP Optional Media Arena virus and quarantined it. The first virus detection in years.

Just deleting wouldn't have been enough. Who knows if it will happen again?

Just FYI.....

Respected Contributor

Re: Horrible Frightening E-Mail Threat Received

@PickyPicky3 

Oh my goodness!  I've seen these kinds of hostage scams on the news, but thankfully I've never encountered one.  I hope they've not found a way to remain on your computer hidden.💝🌸

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!😮 GOOD thing you found it!!! I hope you have no further communication from them!😊This is very concerning because they used your real name, not just your e-mail addy!😐 There has been an uptick in these scams lately as they get more sophisticated, and while some of us are aware, many people simply are not! If you have not already done so, it might be a good idea to do a darkweb scan so that if your information is there, you can take the necessary steps to help secure yourself against any breech of your personal financial information.👍  I hope you have no further communication from them!🤞😊

THANK you SO much for caring to share this vital information as it just might help save another poster from becoming a victim of these criminals!❤ 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3,  If the email is still available in your trash folder please follow through by filing a report about it at https://www.ic3.gov/

That is the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.  They will likely need to have the original email forwarded so they can collect the data contained in the email headers.

It would also be a good idea to forward it to your internet service provider so they can take steps to prevent such emails from reaching users.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3.  Why don't you call the non-emergency number at your local police department, describe the message and ask if there's anything you should do.

I've also recently received a phony invoice for a bitcoin purchase.  I blocked the sender but kept a screen shot of the email.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.

-I don't know how to undo a deletion from junk mail. I use Microsoft Outlook. Anyone know a way?

-I don't know how to do a dark web scan. How do I start?

Respected Contributor

WOW! That is crazy. Good thing you are on top of it and didn't fall for the ridiculous.  I'm afraid not everyone is as astute when it comes to such things.

Respected Contributor

If they could do something to you they would have already done it, don't let a threat ruin your peace of mind.  They are trying to scare you, don't let them win.

Respected Contributor

Last week my husband wrote a 500 dollar check, we had both cars detailed.  A few days ago he got a text telling him to respond Y if the check was legit, it was scary.  I called the bank and it was legitimate.  I was surprised the bank contacted us that way.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

If you've ever been on the Tik Tok site, you may be prone to all sorts of weird stuff.  Since it's been in the news lately, I'm pretty sure most people know what I mean by now.