Honored Contributor

Help With My HP Envy 5530 Printer

I have replaced the ink cartridges many times for my printer. Today I replaced the black cartridge. Well the black ink isn't working but the color is. I have taken the cartridge out and put it back in several times to no avail. I tried unplugging the printer, then plugging it in again, still nothing. I'm also getting a message the cartridges are set to the factory default (something like that). I also used the HP Scan Doctor, still not working. I'm about ready to throw this printer across the room! If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Maybe it's time for a new printer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help With My HP Envy 5530 Printer

I also have an HP but not familiar with your model - however, how often do you use the printer?   My computer guru tells me the ink drys up if not activated often.  (in fact I should print something soon cuz I really don't use it on a daily basis)

Also, where do you purchase your cartridges?   I buy directly from HP website but even then recently had a black that was a no print after two copies.  These companies 'refill' with toner and I think some just miss the mark.  I doubt if it's your machine - more likely just the toner (ink).

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I also have an HP but not familiar with your model - however, how often do you use the printer?   My computer guru tells me the ink drys up if not activated often.  (in fact I should print something soon cuz I really don't use it on a daily basis)

Also, where do you purchase your cartridges?   I buy directly from HP website but even then recently had a black that was a no print after two copies.  These companies 'refill' with toner and I think some just miss the mark.  I doubt if it's your machine - more likely just the toner (ink).

I buy my ink from Best Buy, they are HP ink cartridges. The cartridge is brand new, unless it is defective, this has never hasppened before.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like you've already done some good troubleshooting. I'd take the black cartridge back and exchange it because it sounds defective in some way.

If the next black cartridge does not work than I'd start to suspect a problem with printer.

Respected Contributor

I have an Epson printer and have had to do a print head nozzle check and a print head cleaning in the past.   Is that something the HP Scan Doctor does? 

Respected Contributor

Guess its a fairly common problem. I found this from their site: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-5530-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5304881/model/5304882/d...

Apparently if none of those steps work, it needs to be serviced.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

Guess its a fairly common problem. I found this from their site: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-5530-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5304881/model/5304882/d...

Apparently if none of those steps work, it needs to be serviced.

@skuggles, thanks for the link, I actually had seen this. I don't know if it's worth the cost to service it, I think I paid around $100 or so about 3 years ago. Things sure don't last like they use to. I had an HP printer prior to this one that lasted maybe 8 years or more.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I know what you mean. I am hesitant to replace  my working Epson ~10 year old non airPrint for an equally inexpensive newer one that does does have this much desired feature. HP is all that Apple carries in their store although I could go anywhere, point being that they'll get behind HP because they are lacking compatibility issues historically.  `

Contributor

The cartridge could be defective with the cartridge not  making contact with the printer. I had this problem and after conversing with HP they sent me a new cartridge next day air 

at no cost. I don't know how this will be handled if a "generic" cartridge was purchased. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have replaced the ink cartridges many times for my printer. Today I replaced the black cartridge. Well the black ink isn't working but the color is. I have taken the cartridge out and put it back in several times to no avail. I tried unplugging the printer, then plugging it in again, still nothing. I'm also getting a message the cartridges are set to the factory default (something like that). I also used the HP Scan Doctor, still not working. I'm about ready to throw this printer across the room! If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Maybe it's time for a new printer.

Hi @Jordan2,

If you're getting a message that the cartridges are set to the factory default setting, then I'm wondering if there is something else going on with your printer, rather than a cartridge issue.

Here is a link to support for HP for your printer:

I don't know what your particular model number is, but at least you can get to their website this way:

Oops!-Editing to say serial number for your printer, not model number! Smiley Very Happy

Sometimes there can be a problem with a particular serial number, model number and so on, and when you call for tech. support, they may ask you for the serial number of your particular item. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-5530-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5304881/model/5304882/t...

I know that you ran the HP Doctor, but if I were you I would try again and look at HP's website to see if you can't troubleshoot what else might be wrong with your printer.

If it's still under warranty, I would try and get some help with it that way. If not, I believe that HP charges a fee for tech. support help if it's not under warranty. 

If you want to, you can also try downloading a user's manual for your particular printer based on its model number, and then try going through the manual and seeing if you can try to find solutions for what may be happening with your printer, through there.

I am talking about downloading a more detailed user's manual. These are usually a couple of hundred pages long, and contain links with step-by-step solutions for using the printer. These longer manuals don't come with the printer, but can be found online. 

This is what I usually try and do when I am having any printer issues myself. Smiley Happy