Honored Contributor

Re: HP laptop--questionable quality

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Okay, don't leave us hanging .........  if someone told you HP wasn't what it used to be, hopefully you asked them who DOES make a good laptop ........  please share those opinions.  

What makes any computer (desktop or laptop) "good" is the use of quality components. Computer makers are in business to make money. Better quality components tend to cost more than lesser quality components so to hold down production costs, computer makers compromise on certain components. Very often a computer maker will contract for certain components before they know how reliable those components are, or will be.

And every company does this including Apple. They used cheaper capacitors in their line during the capacitor plague from 1999-2007 and suffered the consequences. There is no perfect company with perfect products.

If you want a "good" desktop computer, your best bet is to build it yourself using slightly older tech that's been around at least six months and been proven reliable. 

To get a "good" laptop, look for one that's been for sale for six months or so and has overall good reviews. Ideally, lots of good reviews. If people have had the laptop and been using it for a while with no major complaints, it's probably going to be pretty good. You might still stumble upon a lemon, but your odds are better. And when reading reviews, focus on complaints regarding the computer's hardware. If someone gives it a one star review because it won't load and run a thirty year old piece of software, you can safely ignore that one star review. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Thank you for the explanation.  I've been thinking about how you are doing, and hope you and the kitties are okay.  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

My Hp laptop is 7 years old and I haven't had any problems with it. 
I customized it on their website. 

But like so many things these days, I'm sure their quality isn't what it used to be. 
I've owned both Sony and Toshiba laptops that didn't last long. Maybe that's why those companies no longer manufacture computers. 

Respected Contributor

My HP laptop is wonderful.  Got it at Costco and no problems whatsoever.  It was on special for about $700-$800, can't remember.  It's a good one and I don't know if they have it anymore.

Beautiful blue inside and out, 15"...Cat Very Happy

Valued Contributor

@jrcnc - I think I agree with you about HP quality.  I bought my 3rd HP laptop in late July 2022.  My previous HP was new in 2017 and having some issues with the screen.  I have been dragging my feet getting my files transferred over to the new laptop.  So I was using the new laptop intermittently for web surfing and watching movies and such.  Nothing exotic and I thought I had made a good choice.  I finally got my files transferred over last week as the fan on my old one was making a horrendus racket and I was afraid it would just poop out completely.  So, fast forward a week.  I was (notice the tense) using the new one and the fan on it started cycling and then started running non-stop.  It was loud (but not ask loud as the racket on the old one) and very distracting.  I tried rebooting and ending processes (such as they were) but no luck.  I made sure the vents were not blocked while I was using it. No luck. So I turned it off and here I am back on my old laptop.  I will not be in the area where I bought the new laptop until the end of March so I will just hope this old one keeps going until I can take the new one to the place I bought it since it should be under warranty.  I will keep messing around with it just in case it decides to behave.

So my HP laptop (Win 7) from 2010 and its replacement HP laptop (Win 10) from 2017 are in much better shape than this new one at this particular moment in time.  The new one is still Win 10 but I have the option to upgrade to Win 11 but not too sure I want to do that at this particular time.  To quote Roseanne Roseannadanna "it's always something!"