Respected Contributor

I can call HP Support tomorrow, but you know how those phone calls go. Sigh. So I thought I'd ask here -- maybe someone has had this experience and knows what to do.

I have a really simple HP Deskjet 3640 series printer. It's only a couple of months old and ink is new. It works..... I can print Word docs, print from the internet, but I can't print my e-mails, and I don't know why.

I needed to print out a return label that had other text in the e-mail. I wound up copying and pasting it into a Word doc, then printing it out. But why can't I print the e-mail itself?

Here's my only clue: The Device listed on my computer is:

"HP Deskjet 3630 series (Copy 1)"

When I attempted to Print the e-mail, it was "in queue" in:

"HP Deskjet 3630 series"   It didn't say "(Copy 1)"

Both these printer names are listed when it asks me to select the printer to "see what's printing". So when I select from the list the first name, there is nothing in queue. When I select from this list the second name, the e-mail is in queue.

I'm thinking it's not printing because my device name as it is listed in my computer's "Devices and Printers" is the first name.

Why do I even have  two printer names listed? And is there a way to consolidate so that only my one printer is listed as one name?

Sorry if this is confusing. Can you imagine me talking to someone in HP Support who is on the other side of the world?

Honored Contributor

Re: HP Deskjet Printer - Help

@SaRina- I don't think it's anything to do with your HP printer.  I also have an HP and it works very well.

However, recently I've had trouble printing emails from Kohl's (e.g. when I get Kohl's Cash or a coupon).  I finally had to do what you did; copy and paste it to a Word document.

The reason is that the "bits" of the emails are now in table format (even though you can't see that just by looking at it).  I think it's to do with making things compatible with devices like cell phones.

My sister-in-law has a different printer and has the same issue.  (She uses the chat facility, when she wants to contact HP CS and has always found them to be very helpful.  She's also phoned from time to time.)

If you find out any further information on how to resolve the issue (without cut and paste), I hope you'll come back and tell us.

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I can call HP Support tomorrow, but you know how those phone calls go. Sigh. So I thought I'd ask here -- maybe someone has had this experience and knows what to do.

I have a really simple HP Deskjet 3640 series printer. It's only a couple of months old and ink is new. It works..... I can print Word docs, print from the internet, but I can't print my e-mails, and I don't know why.

I needed to print out a return label that had other text in the e-mail. I wound up copying and pasting it into a Word doc, then printing it out. But why can't I print the e-mail itself?

Both these printer names are listed when it asks me to select the printer to "see what's printing". So when I select from the list the first name, there is nothing in queue. When I select from this list the second name, the e-mail is in queue.

I'm thinking it's not printing because my device name as it is listed in my computer's "Devices and Printers" is the first name.

Why do I even have  two printer names listed? And is there a way to consolidate so that only my one printer is listed as one name?

Sorry if this is confusing. Can you imagine me talking to someone in HP Support who is on the other side of the world?

The few times I've had a problem with a printer or other device, I uninstall then reinstall them.  I find it easier and faster than trying to troubleshot the problem.   I'd also recommend you go to HP.com, enter your printer model number and download the latest drivers and/or software.  Once the printer is uninstalled, reinstall it using the latest drivers and software.  If that doesn't work, call HP. 

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I had all kinds of trouble with my HP printer, that said is the label in a PDF format? you may need to adobe installed to properly print the label