Honored Contributor

Re: HELP - I DON'T NEED A HD ROKU TV

why not have two televisions?

one you can connect to direct tv for yourself, and your daughter can have a tv where she can have roku access?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

IMO, if this TV is strictly for you (in a bedroom, for example) you should be able to have what you prefer.

If it's a TV that your daughter and granddaughter will also be using, a/the main household TV, I would let your daughter get what she (and probably your granddaughter) prefer. You may not want to use the new technology, but you shouldn't prevent them from having it.

Moonchilde...Because her ex-husband took it upon  himself to give away my TV when he helped with the move, she, he or both are obligated to replace it.  I have my own bedroom plus another room I call my office.  That is where I have my TV, desk with computer, love seat, and two bookcases for my books.  We do not watch the same programs and by having my own space I do not interfere with or disturb anyone else in the house which is ideal.  I will pay for Direct TV or whomever as I always have so none of this should be an issue.  There is nothing complicated here and what is so simple has been blown out of proportion.  My daughter does not ask for my permission when she wants to buy something, or anything for that matter nor I do tell her what to buy unless she asks for my opinion and I have seen her make some bad decisions, her money, her problem.  Anyway, thanks for the input.

If she wants a Roku TV it sounds like she's thinking of cutting the cord/going without cable to save money. DirecTV and other cable/satellite systems are expensive (we have DirecTV). She probably feels that you paying out that kind of money when it isn't needed is wasteful - even if it's just for you in your bedroom.

As with any Smart TV, you don't have to use all the features. Use those you want, don't use those you don't feel comfortable with. I just bought a new Smart TV. 90% of the time I don't use it as anything other than a "dumb" TV.

If it's a question of you just preferring to have DirecTV because it has more programming - well, you share a household. If you could afford to live on your own you could have DirecTV. But you don't live alone. The needs of the household as a whole need to be considered.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

one you can connect to direct tv for yourself, and your daughter can have a tv where she can have roku access?

She has  her own TV in her bedroom.  Mine was in my office room along with my bookcases, desk, computer and loveseat.  It isn't a matter of who has or where they are, it is a matter of replacing mine which her ex-husband gave away to a neighbor when we were re-locating.  Of course he had no right to do that and now they are obligated to replace it.  What is causing the problem is that my daughter wants me to get a ROKU TV which I don't want.   We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.  Thanks for your reply.

@sunshine45 wrote:

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

you dont save money for most channels require  you to have a paid cable subscription to login via  ROKU 

Just get a smart tv.   You can still watch tv as normal and you have an option  to stream via apps.  For example if I can stream netflix via my tv

Respected Contributor

Just go to BestBuy without her  and buy your TV.  

Honored Contributor

Who's paying for it?  If you are, get what you want.  It's hard to buy just a TV that doesn't have anything on it these days.

The costs of TV's have gotten pretty low.  Does she know a lot about TV's and the hook ups, etc?

If I were you, I'd go by myself (like others have said) and get what you want.  Go to a place like Best Buy when you have plenty of time and have them explain the different TV's to you.

In the end you should get what you are comfortable with.  Don't get something you aren't going to enjoy and get frustrated trying to operate it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Who's paying for it?  If you are, get what you want.  It's hard to buy just a TV that doesn't have anything on it these days.

The costs of TV's have gotten pretty low.  Does she know a lot about TV's and the hook ups, etc?

If I were you, I'd go by myself (like others have said) and get what you want.  Go to a place like Best Buy when you have plenty of time and have them explain the different TV's to you.

In the end you should get what you are comfortable with.  Don't get something you aren't going to enjoy and get frustrated trying to operate it!

Thank you, thank you, thanky you. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

She has  her own TV in her bedroom.  Mine was in my office room along with my bookcases, desk, computer and loveseat.  It isn't a matter of who has or where they are, it is a matter of replacing mine which her ex-husband gave away to a neighbor when we were re-locating.  Of course he had no right to do that and now they are obligated to replace it.  What is causing the problem is that my daughter wants me to get a ROKU TV which I don't want.   We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.  Thanks for your reply.

@sunshine45 wrote:

She already has a 40 inch in her bedroom and seldom watches TV.  Lindsay doesn't watch much TV, she mostly uses it for games and spends most of her time on the computer.  I have always been the one paying for cable and will continue to do so, I am at loss as why she is making such a big deal out of this.  Just had a thought I'll take her 40 inch and she can buy herself a ROKU and I'll keep paying cable like I used to. Woman LOL

Occasional Contributor

WalMart has the 32 inch TCL Roku TVs on sale right now for $135.00. We just replaced our bedroom tv with this. Easy to use remote makes it idiot proof. Excuse the discription. 

You would love it. Plug it in and go!

Honored Contributor

I bought a sharp tv last december ,from best buy with roku,i love it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.