Esteemed Contributor

HELP - I DON'T NEED A HD ROKU TV

I need a new TV because when we moved my daughter's ex-husband helped and he gave away my TV and a few other things of mine.  Don't ask, that is whole other thread!!!

My daughter is pushing for a TCL HD Roku Streaming Smart LED TV with HDMl/Ethernet Cable.  To me this is a foreign language!!!!  I keep telling her all I want is a normal TV, no bells and whistles, call Direct TV which I love, hook it  up and I am good to go.

I went on line and checked that foreign model and I couldn't believe everything I was reading about it.  Sure, it sounds great for someone a whole lot younger than me, I have no desire to try to understand or learn how to use all that technology. 

She keeps telling me how great it is and we can save money by not having to pay for service.  I tell her I will pay for Direct TV, it still goes in one ear and out the other.  If I lived alone I would just go ahead and get what I want but we live in the same house and she is somewhat controlling...okay, she is a lot controlling.   Since it is for my use and comfort how can I convince her to back off and mind her own business?

Some of you may very well have one of those thing-a ma- jigs and love it and that is great, but I am not interested.  When we visited friends in Colorado a few months ago I was introduced to Alexa in their house, talk about weird.  I did get to like her but that doesn't mean I want her in my house.

If enough of you side with me than I can show her the posts which may convince her she is being overly pushy and she just might give in to what I want.  I am looking forward to your replies.  Woman Frustrated

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP - I DON'T NEED A HD ROKU TV

Technology has changed so much I'm always open to the new technology.

Why can't you have both?

If you share a home, do you have your own room, or apartment?    Get your DirecTV and let her have what she wants.    

You will not like my post.   I think you should give it a chance.   But it sounds like she is pushing you and you are against the pushing, not necessarily the new technology.

I would have what your DD is suggesting but you need good internet and that's something I don't have.   I'd give up DirecTV in a heartbeat for something better.

Honored Contributor

If it is your house then you get what you want and leave her get what she wants for her room and if it's her house then get what you want for your room.  If you are paying get what you want!!  If she is controlling then you probably will cave to her wants since it appears you seem to have done this all her life.

Respected Contributor

Please don't give in to your DD.  I so agree with you and I don't want bells and whistles in my life anymore.  Leave them to the people who want them.

Respected Contributor

OK here is my recomendation about you, your daughter, and your TV.  You are paying for it, it is going in your house and you should purchase what you want.  Your daughter needs to mind her own business if she lives with you she needs to remember it's your home not hers.  I sometimes have a problem with my daughter similar to this and I just tell her to cool her jets.   It's your life. Live it your way.

Valued Contributor

I have one probably not the same model as mine was clearance priced at WalMart this past Spring.

My opinion -- it's a great TV at a great price with good reviews and just because it has all the options doesn't mean you have to use them but they are available for your daughter to use if she chooses.  You can still have Direct TV it's the best of both worlds.

Respected Contributor

I really don't understand people.  Just because a TV has all of the "bells and whistles" doesn't mean you have to use them.  The same is true with ANY device you buy.  Unless you have dementia or some other problem with your brain, you can learn new things if you want.  Most, if not all, new TVs are smart TVs because that's what sells.  If you don't want to stream shows and movies, don't.  BTW, people can only control you if you let them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you about not wanting to deal with new technology. Yesterday morning I had to go to the AT&T place near me to get a new cell phone. Mine was an old flip phone from God knows how many years ago and on it's way to phone heaven. Guess what I got to replace it? A plain old flip phone almost exactly like it.... love the simpleness &  familiarity of it. Yep, that's all I wanted. Anyhow, my opinion about your new tv, if you had to come to this board for back-up to show your daughter, that says to me that you've already thrown in the towel on this and she will have her way.

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

I have one probably not the same model as mine was clearance priced at WalMart this past Spring.

My opinion -- it's a great TV at a great price with good reviews and just because it has all the options doesn't mean you have to use them but they are available for your daughter to use if she chooses.  You can still have Direct TV it's the best of both worlds.

That HDTV is a very well reviewed HDTV and priced very, very nicely.  It was one of the two I'd considered back in July before opting for the Amazon Fire TV, but the Roku HDTV is a very, very good set at a good price. Just use the functions you want to use and ignore the rest. I suspect your relative is just trying to guide you to the best TV at the best price point. If you check out the reviews for it at C-Net and other sites, you'll find that it's a very highly thought of HDTV.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

If you do end up getting that tv your daughter will have to show you how to use it.If you take awhile to catch on then she could become frustrated...just saying because I caused my sons frustration when we got ours.I kept calling about things that I messed up and one time he said,"mom...how many times will I have to explain this? i replied"son when you were learning to tie your shoes I instructed you patiently many many times and never once did I say that you would have to switch back to Velcro!"