Honored Contributor

I text with 3 friends via gmail...I don't have a smart phone with data and this work around for texting has worked until this weekend.

To use texting via gmail, I only need their provider and phone number, no one has changed providers or phone numbers.

Last night I constantly got messages that my messages were not deliverable, which means since Saturday no one was getting my messages.

I did go to the gmail site, trying to figure out what to do...I have more than enough storage, I deleted everything possible, emptied trash, I have restarted my MacBook.  Cleared history and deleted cookies (don't know if that has anything to do with gmail).  

Still no one has responded to my question so I messaged (thru Messages) one of the girls, she replied that she did not get my message via gmail.

Any advice?

Trusted Contributor

Get a smartphone and give up on workarounds.  Texting was not intended to be used as you are using it. Yet when your method gets a glitch, you are puzzled and disappointed. 

You like Apple products and your MacBook suits your needs?  You can get a refurbished iPhone from Apple with the same warranty as a new one (not necessarily the latest model) for not even half of what anything new would cost. They sell them right on the Apple site. It will serve you as well as the non-smart phone you're using now and function properly with technology like texting. 

I know you've enjoyed having things work your way in spite of the arcane methodology.  Step up to working with technology as it is intended and have consistent communication with your friends and efficient use of texting.  It's a small investment with a versatile future. 

I cannot help you work with Gmail any better in your current hassle. But I am being constructive. 

Hope you get a solution for reliable texting one way or another. 

Honored Contributor

OP--first of all--after being an android devotee for years and years--I finally decided to go with an Iphone--hands down the best---Now my brother is using android and i was having the same issues with him--I would text/email him and he never got any ---so googled like it was my iphone doing weird things and it turned out that HE had blocked me on his phone--he's not sure how he did but as soon as he figured it all out and got me unblocked---we are fine now. Maybe somehow that button got pushed---just throwing that out there---am not a tech wiz at all---however---you can't beat Apple--IMHO of course.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtoodogs

I would put your problem in the form of a question, and ask Google.

I sometimes add the word Reddit on the end of the question. 

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal   Not exactly what I wanted to hear and yes I understand that is not the best way to text.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  That makes sense but there is no way all three friends hit the same button at the same time.  

I am certainly not a tech wizard either and I do love my apple products.  DH and I each have android phones...they ring only, we rarely use the phones.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs ---well you never know-----just thought I'd throw that out there--couldn't hurt to ask the friends about it----maybe if your friends are all in a group instead of separately , blocking one may block everyone----I know how annoying cell phones can be!!!!

FYI---I would LOVE to be a tech wiz---Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@momtoodogs

I would put your problem in the form of a question, and ask Google.

I sometimes add the word Reddit on the end of the question. 

I already asked. Here's the answer:

"If bounced emails are in theUndeliverable” category, that means that the receiving email server is temporarily unavailable, was overloaded, or couldn't be found. A server that can't be found could have crashed or been under maintenance, so this may just mean waiting to send the email to the address again."

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge   Thanks!  I did google the issue, but all the other girls have been texting, since Saturday and beyond....it's just my messages to them that are the issue.

When I have time I will delete their info from my contacts, and then have each one text me and I will save the information again in my contacts.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm not certain why you would not choose to use "messages" on your Mac?  That's texting without an iPhone.

Cogito ergo sum