Respected Contributor

I've been having problems with a slow wireless connection.  I got 90 mbps hard wired to my router but only 10 mbps using the wireless connection.  What is normal for a wireless connection and do you thinnk a new router will solve the problem?  As far as I know, my iPhone is the only AC enabled device.   It's the reason I haven't upgraded because most are only "N" enabled.  

I have a Ring doorbell installed and it's so slow to connect, people have left the front door before my iPhone opens the app.  I wonder if that is the problem and if a new router will solve it.  Thanks.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I've been having problems with a slow wireless connection.  I got 90 mbps hard wired to my router but only 10 mbps using the wireless connection.  What is normal for a wireless connection and do you thinnk a new router will solve the problem?  As far as I know, my iPhone is the only AC enabled device.   It's the reason I haven't upgraded because most are only "N" enabled.  

I have a Ring doorbell installed and it's so slow to connect, people have left the front door before my iPhone opens the app.  I wonder if that is the problem and if a new router will solve it.  Thanks.  

Routers are quirky little beasts. They tend to prioritize certain connections over others. Wired connections get first dibs, then they tend to prioritize the next most commonly connected devices. A new router likely won't hurt, but there's no guarantee that it'll help. Wired connections will always be fastest, but a 90% speed drop seems large. I'll occasionally launch a device I don't typically use and the speed on that device will always be slower than on a more routinely used device. My Fire TV Stick on my bedroom TV will often say there's inadequate bandwidth when I first fire it up despite getting over 120 mbps on the wired connection to my computer. Once it's been up and running for a bit the router will give it more bandwidth, but it meters out the bandwidth as it sees fit. Something like the Ring doorbell which likely only uses bandwidth when someone's ringing it, would likely get a very small amount of bandwidth allocated to it. Routers are smart, in some ways, and try to anticipate usage, but they're not always right. A new router would likely give you an early boost, but that might gradually fade as the new router learned which devices you use the most and allocated resources to those devices. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Thanks.  I'm going to get a new router.  There is no point of having a Ring Doorbell if the router is so slow I can't use it. 

Edit:  I got a new router (Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO gigabit router) and it's great!!!!  My speed increased from 10 mbps to 90 mbps.  It's lightning fast and I'm thrilled. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

You have explained this phenomenon! We have had some suspicions only that this was happening, but you have now confirmed it! Thank you!

PS I hope you are well 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Thanks.  I'm going to get a new router.  There is no point of having a Ring Doorbell if the router is so slow I can't use it. 

Edit:  I got a new router (Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO gigabit router) and it's great!!!!  My speed increased from 10 mbps to 90 mbps.  It's lightning fast and I'm thrilled. 

I give the two bands of the router different SSID name, but use the same password.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I give the two bands of the router different SSID name, but use the same password.

I didn't but, I can always go into the setting and change it.