Respected Contributor

gardenman,hope your leg heals quickly

@gardenman, I am so sorry to hear about your broken leg. I don't come here often, but John posted that you had been hospitalized on Community Chat.

I hope you mend quickly!

henny

Honored Contributor

Re: gardenman,hope your leg heals quickly

wrote:

@gardenman, I am so sorry to hear about your broken leg. I don't come here often, but John posted that you had been hospitalized on Community Chat.

I hope you mend quickly!

henny

@hennypenny

Thanks! The leg is feeling pretty good. Stamina is my big issue right now. I'm still operating with about half to two thirds of my normal blood supply, so doing anything is like running a marathon. I just cooked my lunch and I'm now taking a break before my next burst of activity at 2:30.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Best wishes to Gardenman.  Hope you'll be back to regular posting soon!  

Trusted Contributor

Good luck with your rehab @gardenman, hope you are healing well.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @gardenman!  I've seen your posts here and there around the boards, just wanted to wish you well and here's hoping you have a speedy recovery.  We live in the same state, you south, me north.  Smiley Wink  I hope you enjoy the Super Bowl on Sunday.

I saw your post about your hemoglobin levels.  I don't know too much about the numbers, but I was just wondering how long you think it will take you to come back up to normal.  You hang in there and take good care of yourself.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Hi, @gardenman!  I've seen your posts here and there around the boards, just wanted to wish you well and here's hoping you have a speedy recovery.  We live in the same state, you south, me north.  Smiley Wink  I hope you enjoy the Super Bowl on Sunday.

I saw your post about your hemoglobin levels.  I don't know too much about the numbers, but I was just wondering how long you think it will take you to come back up to normal.  You hang in there and take good care of yourself.  

I was talking to my hematologist on Thursday and he said it would be two to three months (maybe more) before my blood was back to its old levels. I'm starting iron supplements to help rebuild my iron stockpile that's been a bit depleted. He recommended Vitron +C  iron as it's less likely to cause issues, and he said to get a three to six month supply of it, so it will take a while. I'm a little stronger every day, but I've got a long way to go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

How did you break your leg? 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I was carrying out my laundry when my right leg for taken out by a mudslide and I landed atop my left leg. It was well above freezing, but the ground a couple of inches below the mud was frozen. The ground under my right leg went out, I found myself lying atop my left leg. I rolled onto my back/side and used my arms to pull my left leg out from under me. I set the left leg atop the right and it took an odd turn to the right where there isn't typically a joint and the foot was pointing in a direction I couldn't typically point it. It was pretty apparent something was badly wrong, so I laid down, pulled out my phone, dialed 911 and told them I'd broken my leg. Sure enough, I'd fractured the distal end of the femur and there were now several pieces where there should be one. That leg has a 24 year old knee replacement also, which complicated things a bit, but everything's been pieced back together, a big plate/rod now runs alongside the outside of the femur from the knee almost to the hip with multiple screws holding the bits and pieces in place. Now it's just a question of time until everything heals. Optimistically that could be ten weeks, pessimistically six months.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman I’m so glad you had your cell phone with you. This is exactly why I wear my phone at all times. Accidents can happen anywhere and anytime.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I was carrying out my laundry when my right leg for taken out by a mudslide and I landed atop my left leg. It was well above freezing, but the ground a couple of inches below the mud was frozen. The ground under my right leg went out, I found myself lying atop my left leg. I rolled onto my back/side and used my arms to pull my left leg out from under me. I set the left leg atop the right and it took an odd turn to the right where there isn't typically a joint and the foot was pointing in a direction I couldn't typically point it. It was pretty apparent something was badly wrong, so I laid down, pulled out my phone, dialed 911 and told them I'd broken my leg. Sure enough, I'd fractured the distal end of the femur and there were now several pieces where there should be one. That leg has a 24 year old knee replacement also, which complicated things a bit, but everything's been pieced back together, a big plate/rod now runs alongside the outside of the femur from the knee almost to the hip with multiple screws holding the bits and pieces in place. Now it's just a question of time until everything heals. Optimistically that could be ten weeks, pessimistically six months.

Ouch!  Hopefully you'll get better sooner than later.