Respected Contributor

I am not so tech savy and prefer simple.  Would Amazon Fire stick or Roku be best?  No games...just watch tv and not that much.

Getting rid of my Spectrum.

Honored Contributor

I want to get Roku because it has the Hallmark channels.

You can look up what channels each has.

I was thinking the other day that I am glad so many are getting rid of these high price cable companies.

It will serve them right if they no longer have any customers, esp. because with their stupid bundles you have to pay for 100's of channels you don't want to get the several you do want! 

I didn't know this until a few days ago (still not really up on so much of this), that some what they call "smart tvs" have these streaming devices already built in. At least roku does. That is pretty neat. But I don't really need to get a new tv so I'll just get the roku device.

I'm glad you asked this question. I'll be interested to see what others say. There are so many here who really are knowledgable

about this stuff.

I think Sling tv is good, plus a roku device.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

We just got the Roku Ultra for our TV in our sunroom. I love it. Tons of free movies. Also, I watch a lot of things on YouTube, and you can’t get YouTube on an Amazon Firestick....feud between Amazon and Google. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline-

I didn't know that about youtube.

Another good reason for roku. I watch a lot of music on youtube.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay, YouTube has amazing content.  Search and enjoy!  LM

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

We just got the Roku Ultra for our TV in our sunroom. I love it. Tons of free movies. Also, I watch a lot of things on YouTube, and you can’t get YouTube on an Amazon Firestick....feud between Amazon and Google. 

You can easily get YouTube on a Fire Stick. I have both a Fire Stick and a Fire TV and watch YouTube on both. The YouTube app for Fire accesses YouTube through a web browser, but works fine. I use it everyday. It's fast, easy, and no trouble at all. You just click on the YouTube app and up comes YouTube.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I had both 

I like the firestick better

but my Roku was an older one 

you do need good internet/router in your house for both of these 

Regular Contributor

and your tv has to have a place to plug it in...one of my older (not ancient) tv's..does not.

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamaria2 wrote:

and your tv has to have a place to plug it in...one of my older (not ancient) tv's..does not.

For those with older TVs that have composite A/V ports (red, white, and yellow) there is a Roku that will work for you. It's called the "Roku Express +"  

It comes with everything you need for your older TV to access all the same streaming channels as the newer TVs that have HDMI ports.

I just checked Walmart online and saw one for $35. I'd link it but I think it's against the rules and it's easy to find. Just be sure that if your TV is older you get the right one...Roku Express +

It has to be the + Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I would definitely get Roku, it is considered the best.