Super Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I want to get Roku because it has the Hallmark channels.

You can look up what channels each has.

I was thinking the other day that I am glad so many are getting rid of these high price cable companies.

It will serve them right if they no longer have any customers, esp. because with their stupid bundles you have to pay for 100's of channels you don't want to get the several you do want! 

I didn't know this until a few days ago (still not really up on so much of this), that some what they call "smart tvs" have these streaming devices already built in. At least roku does. That is pretty neat. But I don't really need to get a new tv so I'll just get the roku device.

I think Sling tv is good, plus a roku device.

@on the bay wrote:

I want to get Roku because it has the Hallmark channels.

You can look up what channels each has.

I was thinking the other day that I am glad so many are getting rid of these high price cable companies.

It will serve them right if they no longer have any customers, esp. because with their stupid bundles you have to pay for 100's of channels you don't want to get the several you do want! 

I didn't know this until a few days ago (still not really up on so much of this), that some what they call "smart tvs" have these streaming devices already built in. At least roku does. That is pretty neat. But I don't really need to get a new tv so I'll just get the roku device.

I'm glad you asked this question. I'll be interested to see what others say. There are so many here who really are knowledgable

about this stuff.

I think Sling tv is good, plus a roku device.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Just started reading this thread, but wanted to add:

I used to think cord-cutting was a better way to go, but

Ive noticed the cost of Wifi, along with rising subscription prices on each of the streaming services only got me back to where I started.

The cable Companies are not going to loose money.

They will just increase WIFI fees to make up for cable losses.

Now the streaming services are so In Demand, they are 

nickle-and- diming all their customers too.

These big monopolies will never loose.....but we customers (who have little choice) will always loose.

Honored Contributor

There is a newish streaming service called PlutoTV that's free and advertiser supported that's been bought by Viacom, that has some cost saving potential. Viacom seems serious about making it free and fully supported by sponsors. They've just recently added a version of CNN to it along with lots of other stuff. We'll have to see how it plays out long term, but it could be leading the way to a broader range of free channels fully supported by advertisers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

We cut the cable tv cord last weekend so am still learning. Had to go to unlimited internet to stream. Tomsguide.com and cordcutters.com have been great help. We bought a Roku stick.