Esteemed Contributor

I see that HSN has this virus remover for 79.90$.  Wondering if anyone has tried this type of thing.  I let Norton expire,it didn't seem to help as my computer is slow.  Comcast has some kind of protection,too.  I just wondered if these virus "removers" are worth the $.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Re: FIX-ME STICK?

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV wrote:

I see that HSN has this virus remover for 79.90$.  Wondering if anyone has tried this type of thing.  I let Norton expire,it didn't seem to help as my computer is slow.  Comcast has some kind of protection,too.  I just wondered if these virus "removers" are worth the $.  

Your computer needs a little house cleaning. These two programs will cleanup the clutter https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download and https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

You want to use the free version of these programs.

You can now go to Comcast's site and install Norton. You will find a section "Get Ready to Download Norton". This section will help you remove the old anti-virus software and install Norton. http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/constant-guard/

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

The Fix Me Stick DOES NOT  replace an Anti-Virus program. They usually tell you this in their presentations. I use mine regularly and my computer runs much  faster and for me it was a good purchase.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

The Fix Me Stick DOES NOT  replace an Anti-Virus program. They usually tell you this in their presentations. I use mine regularly and my computer runs much  faster and for me it was a good purchase.

hckynut(john)

John,you have the Fix Me stick and it works? I was looking to speed up clean up my 5 year old laptop. I know it won't prevent a virus. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I just ran the Fix Me Stick on my computer and notice no change at all. We have anti virus programs on both our computers. My understanding during the presentation of the Fix Me Stick was that it would remove all of the "garbage" that is left behind after the virus program does it job. Supposedly the computer would run faster. Didn't make any difference on mine. Think I will return.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

somehow i got this aweful browser redirect virus or whatever and malwarebytes  is the only thing  that removed it but i had to totally delete the results not just quarenteene

Trusted Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

somehow i got this aweful browser redirect virus or whatever and malwarebytes  is the only thing  that removed it but i had to totally delete the results not just quarenteene

I sympathize, @kcladyz.

I accidentally picked one of those up by clicking on an ad that was malware.

I type quite fast and my hand hit an ad unintentionally that I didn't want it to hit, and that was all that it took to pick it up. 

I have antivirus and anti-malware on my computer anyway, but things can still happen despite how careful you try and be.

I was inbetween ad blockers on my computer and was trying to find another one that I wanted to use, so this was how I ended up hitting that ad, too. Smiley Sad

I now have an ad blocker on my computer, so I'm fine, and I got rid of the malware, but I understand the frustration of getting these browser redirect hijack bugs.