Respected Contributor

I got hacked on FB via messenger.  I clicked on something I shouldn't have.  I changed my PW, turned on two factor identification, reported it, etc.  I am still getting messages with bad links.  How does this happen?  Is there any way to stop it?  I suspect the answer is no but wanted to see what others thought.  S

PS, I went through a whole round of checks with FB to ensure privacy and now use a VPN also.  I have no links to other sites like Twitter, Instagram, don't play any games thru FB.

Respected Contributor

Do you mean you got hacked by a link in an email?  I always check links in emails before opening with something called virustotal.

So sorry that happened to you.

Honored Contributor

When you get hacked, your information is out in the world  for creeps and scammers. I'm glad you found and fixed it. But it may take a long time for those emails to end. Are you blocking them?  

My FB was hacked once and I've been receiving spam emails for 3 years. I never open an email if I don't know the sender or don't expect an email from the sender.  I've become pretty good at identifying spam. I put them in my junk folder, verify sender without opening, and block them.  They have slowly decreased. Today was the first day in years I didn't have any spam.

Trusted Contributor

This is one reason I don't use social media. 

Respected Contributor

@77yangya , I got hacked through a link sent in messenger.  S

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart , through messenger.  I think I am secure now as I have changed p/w's, am using a VPN.  Such a pain though!  S

PS, three years is a long time!  If the email address isn't in my contacts, it automatically goes to junk.  S

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Me, either.  I do not want to know about anyone's family, the vacations they take, what they are eating for lunch or what they are wearing.   People do not know  how to keep anything private anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Me, either.  I do not want to know about anyone's family, the vacations they take, what they are eating for lunch or what they are wearing.   People do not know  how to keep anything private anymore.

And yet, you are posting on a public message board. 

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei , @CJC  I understand making a choice not to participate on social media because of keeping information private. The only information I post about is not private.  

I use social media for information about books, music, gardening, media streaming, quilting, etc.  There is a treasure of information available on these sources.

FYI the people that got contacted on my hack were people from my address book, not necessarily from FB so, if you were in my address book, you would not have been safe.  FYI.  S

Honored Contributor

Social media is often the best way to reach out to a company these days. Companies tend to monitor social media more than other resources and if you want to get their attention, social media is often the way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!