Trusted Contributor

I have a Windows 10 laptop. It doesn't go all the way to the right and left edges anymore. I clicked on the little box on the top right, but that doesn't help. Is there something else I could do so the screen will go all the way to the edges? Is it a sign that the computer is drying? It is only 2 yrs. old. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do I adjust screen size

@geegerbee 

Move your curser over to the edge of one side and watch for an arrow (<----->) to appear, double click on the arrow and drag it to the edge of your screen in one motion.

Repeat for the other edge of your screen.

Hope I made sense, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom Makes sense to me - I do it all the time....BUT

I get one e-mail (from my lawn service company)  and they make their logo lettering so huge it doesn't fit on my screen..........and no tickle of the margins changes a thing.

I can see - what I can see - but if message is to the far right .....I can only read  the left half.

Guess it's their formatting selection..................as long as they mow......I'll work with it.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

You made sense, and I have done that before, but that didn't work this time----no arrows.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee 

Do you have buttons on the frame of your screen?

You can adjust the size there if you do.

Look for "Display".... horizontal and vertical.  

Other than what has been suggested here, you may find the answer on the internet by asking how to adjust screen size on laptop.  There may be videos on Youtube showing how to do it.  

Trusted Contributor

Go to MS Edge.  On top right, click on three dots.  Scroll down to Zoom.  Click on FULL SCREEN.  You can also try f11.

Trusted Contributor

There must be something wrong with my computer. I mostly use chrome, but also tried edge. I have no buttons on the sides. I used the 3 dots on the top right and it filled the page EXCEPT for 1 inch of black on the left side still. Frustrating. Thanks all for trying to help.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee

I would look for a solution by doing a Google search. I can not tell whether this is a problem with Windows 10 or browser.

HP has an excellent customer forum and a Windows 10 section.

When I do a Google search I many times will add the word Reddit to the end of the question I am asking. 

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

It shouldn't be a sign that your computer is dying. Unlike the old cathode ray tube days, modern displays don't have an image shrink when they're dying. CRT's would project an image onto the screen and when dying would often shrink the display. Modern displays just draw the image directly on the screen.

I'd recommend clicking on the Start icon, then Settings, then System, and see what it says for "Scale and Layout." That should be at 100%. If it's not, that could be the issue. Simply set it to 100% and you should be good to go. If it doesn't automatically come up on "Display" simply click on Display to the left and you should find Scale and Layout there. 

Also, some keyboards let you enlarge or shrink things on the display. (Not as common on a laptop but my Windows Natural keyboard has a scroll button that lets me do it on my desktop.) If nothing else works, rebooting the computer often fixes issues.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

You might want to search customer service telephone no. For company that sells your laptop.  I have done this in the past and sometimes they can go in and do it for you or guide you through it.