Valued Contributor

I have Windows 10 and am confused as to what I should check when doing a disk cleanup.  I watched a few videos and they say different things.  What should be checked to keep the computer running at it's best.  My old computer is Vista and I can't get into it to see what I was doing on that one.  Another question, got a notice that Firefox doesn't work with CCleaner.  Any suggestions on what to install that works with Firefox.

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I have Windows 10 and am confused as to what I should check when doing a disk cleanup.  I watched a few videos and they say different things.  What should be checked to keep the computer running at it's best.  My old computer is Vista and I can't get into it to see what I was doing on that one.  Another question, got a notice that Firefox doesn't work with CCleaner.  Any suggestions on what to install that works with Firefox.

I use CCleaner and Firefox and they work together just fine. What do you mean they don't work together? 

Honored Contributor

When I do a DC, all of the boxes are checked in step 1. When it gets to step 2 where it asks you if you want to permanently delete the files, all of my boxes are checked there, too, except the one box that should not be checked is ESD Installation Files (if you see it there). All others are safe to delete.

Esteemed Contributor

Vista is still around? I would have thought that was obsolete. I mean that was around about the middle 90's . Maybe that is  part of your problem working with very old software. Perhaps its time for you to upgrade? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@kismet wrote:

I use CCleaner and Firefox and they work together just fine. What do you mean they don't work together? 

@glb613, do you use the free version of CCleaner or have you upgraded for the paid version?

Just wondering if the free version is enough.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Vista is still around? I would have thought that was obsolete. I mean that was around about the middle 90's . Maybe that is  part of your problem working with very old software. Perhaps its time for you to upgrade? 

@apple1964 , read the original post again. OP is asking about cleaning the disk on her Win10 computer. Her Vista computer is not in use.

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@apple1964 , read the original post again. OP is asking about cleaning the disk on her Win10 computer. Her Vista computer is not in use.

Oh, okay its early in the morning and before my coffee And I am not surprised that the vista computer is not in use. 

Respected Contributor

I have the free version of CCleaner. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Disk Cleanup?

[ Edited ]

I was getting a notification that Ccleaner doesn't work with Firefox on Windows 10.  I took it out but can put it back if anyone is using Firefox and using it.  I was using the free version.  I used it up until a few weeks ago. Yes, my husband didn't want a new computer so he uses Vista and it works fine, slow but works.  He rarely uses a computer.

Honored Contributor

@kismet 

With Firefox

-make sure you have the lastest version of CCleaner

-close all Firefox applications before running CC

-make sure CC settings appear like this

ccleaner-not-deleting-firefox-history-internet-cache-1.png