Honored Contributor

Computer not recognizing all keystrokes?

I'm a rather fast typist after spending my life in business.  I just switched from my old Dell to a never used HP I had sitting around for as an emergency backup.  This was only $399.00 from HSN two years ago.  Now it is unbearablyslow and takes forever to recognize keystrokes, causing incomplete words in search bars, etc.  Is this the fault of my ISP or this *&^% computer?  Even DH complains about slowness and he's a two finger typist.

Honored Contributor

Re: Computer not recognizing all keystrokes?

@depglassAny chance its insides could be dusty.  Once upon a time a laptop I thought was dying just needed an interior cleaning which my next-door techie did for free. 

Respected Contributor

Spoiler
Do a google search of "delay keystrokes."  You may have filter keys turned on.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass, try this...LM

It means your filter keys are on. Just hold shift for a bit, like at least 8 seconds, and it'll be back to normal.

Honored Contributor

Do you have a wireless keyboard with it?  It could also be a near-dead battery in the keyboard, especially if you've left it sitting around for years.

We've had nothing but HP and never had a problem with the speed.  I'm also a very fast typist.

Honored Contributor

Maybe you need a new keyboard?  Sometimes, despite our best efforts. crumbs and what-not get under the keys.

Honored Contributor

I switched back to the Dell, so I'll try that on the HP.  Both of these computers are like using dial-up.  Worst trouble I've had in 10 years with three computers.  I'm to the point I think the satellite signal is freezing in the air, I'm so frustrated.  That HP is spotless, it hasn't been used at all since I bought it two years ago, so there's no dust in the keyboard, but I'll vacuum them both. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I switched back to the Dell, so I'll try that on the HP.  Both of these computers are like using dial-up.  Worst trouble I've had in 10 years with three computers.  I'm to the point I think the satellite signal is freezing in the air, I'm so frustrated.  That HP is spotless, it hasn't been used at all since I bought it two years ago, so there's no dust in the keyboard, but I'll vacuum them both. 

Update and run all of your security scans. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I did updates and AVG scans.  I also switched from IE to Chrome.  Seems a little faster, but there are lingering problems like bookmarks, etc. I have to get the hang of.  I'm thinking a new computer is in our future.  The next Dell that is a TSV without the numerical keypad, DH didn't say "no" yet.  I'll never buy another HP.