Valued Contributor

Canon Pixma MX922 printer question

In my other post about my current printer wrinkling the paper it prints, this Canon model was mentioned and piqued my interest. Decided to start this new post to address a particular concern I read about when checking the reviews before ordering it. The one big complaint I came across from different sites was how often it wants to autoclean. Now I realize that all printers do this, but this printer sounds like it's really bad about how often it does it. Since this would use up a lot of ink, I'm a little hesitant to get it. Could those of you who own this (in particular, hckynut) tell me if you've had a problem with this? Is there any way to keep it from performing this function as often as it wants to? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Canon Pixma MX922 printer question

i have two of these printers and have not had any problems with the printer asking me to "autoclean." cannot even remember the last time i did that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

I have had this printer for about a month, using it several times daily. I have not had any issues with autoclean.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had my MX922 since 09/18/2017 and it has never asked me to autoclean.    The Canon I had prior to this one was a MX892 and it never asked me to autoclean (had it about 4 years).  The older printer may not have had this function though.  I loved that printer until it gave me a 202 error message that I could not resolve so I had to go with the MX922....  I like the profile of those printers..  So far the only thing I don't like is the cost of the ink cartridges and the printer uses a lot of ink, seemingly moreso than the MX892 did...

Honored Contributor

I've had this for about a year?  I print very rarely.  Does it say something about autoclean or what does it do exactly?  I'm not aware of mine doing that.

@momtochloe has this one as well.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Thanks all for your responses. The autoclean function, from what I understand, is something printers do on their own. You don't "tell" the printer to do this. Certain brands are worse than others about doing this and wasting  ink. I've heard that leaving the printer on can sometimes help reduce the number of times cleaning is done, but I'm not real sure about this. What I'm looking to find out is whether or not this printer has the option to control how often it cleans in its settings (I'm guessing it doesn't, but wanted to check).

Respected Contributor

INkjet printers clean the nozzles when you start them. You can also do nozzle checks and deep cleaning cycles manually.    I have a large Canon Photo Printer and trust me you want the nozzles clean to get a good print.  INkjet printers use ink.  You can't get around it.  PIxmas are a decent printer.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper

I have no idea about a setting that says "autoclean". My later Canon printers, including my 1 MX922(have not used new one), go through a "nozzle clean" when doing a 1st print. This if it has not been used for awhile. After your 1st print it just keeps on printing. Does it use ink? If it does I have no clue where it is putting that ink as it does not show up on any paper print. 

Head alignment on the other hand prints a copy and you can set it on "auto or manual align", if you want to set the alignment yourself. For this it does use ink to print. I really don't get too concerned about ink usage because I do not print many photos, so I use the "fast speed/grayscale setting to print". If I want color, the settings are very simple to change before you hit "PRINT" on anything you print. I always have mine set on "Preview before print", that way it shows you exactly what is going to print BEFORE you hit "start printing".

After my Canon tanks are empty, I use a generic ink, and it prints the same. I have printed color photos with the Canon Ink tanks, and the same picture with generic ink, and I see no difference. Now if you want to print photos to frame, maybe you are more into looking deeply at the pixels than I am, so there could be a difference I just do not see.

For me it will be nothing but Canon printers, and only models with individual color ink tanks. Quit using 3 ink color cartridges years ago. For $59.95, and the things this printer can do? It is a bargain to me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynut--Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I thought about it too long. Just checked on HSN  and it's sold out. Looks like they had a prsentation for it sometime on New Year's Day which I didn't catch. May still buy it elsewhere, but HSN had the best deal. Oh well, that's what I get for being too cautious.

Have one more question for you if you wouldn't mind. You mentioned using generic ink. May I ask what you get and where--just want to be sure I use what works in it. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper,

You're welcome, sorry you were too late for the hsn deal. They always give you more things with their printers than other online retailers, even amazon.

Let me know when you get one and I will see if I can find where I ordered mine last. I bought pack that came with 4 of the 5 inks used for the MX922. Only used 4 of the 5 colors of 1 of the color sets. Bought it this way because it was a bargain and there were mostly good reviews of this company's generic ink tanks.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)