Honored Contributor

Can Craigs List mess with your computer?

DH is on Craigs List constantly, checking out cars, etc.  My computer has become unbearably slow and makes many errors.  Can this be from Craigs List somehow?  I'm very safe in my net surfing.  I haven't had this much trouble with three computers over 10 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Craigs List mess with your computer?

[ Edited ]

Definitely YES. Craigslist is a hotspot for picking up viruses. 

Trusted Contributor

There are a few conflicting articles about risks of computer problems connected to use of Craigslist. Some say it’s a very real vulnerability, some say it is not inherently Craigslist, but what you click on in there. Careful users and active virus protection software can help avoid corruption.  

Here are some pieces to give you insight:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/possible-virus-through-craigslist-62127.html

https://itstillworks.com/viruses-craigslist-12003811.html

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/viruses-craigslist-16864.html

hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never had an issue there.  I am on a mac though, and the other person I personally know that uses cragslist a lot on windows is in tech and is extremely well protected. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom...I don't want to hijack this thread but have a quick question...I am replacing my MacBook Air with a new one....do you think I need anti virus protection?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@jaxs mom...I don't want to hijack this thread but have a quick question...I am replacing my MacBook Air with a new one....do you think I need anti virus protection?

I tend to come down on the "it can't hurt and might help" side. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. There are more and more bad guys/gals out there fishing around for ways to hack every type of computer. About the only thing that's truly safe are the Chromebooks these days and I dare say someone, somewhere is trying to figure out a way to hack into them.

There was a vulnerability (at least in labs) for Apple devices using the Lightning port/Thunderbolt interface that could let someone hack into your computer. When the system would boot it would load "Option ROMs" from an attached device through that port and if that device was corrupted, it could insert software that would let a hacker take control of your computer. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's necessarily Craig's List, I think you can get viruses from the links you click on withing Craig's List.  It's true of all sites, it's why I don't click on any outside links here.  I don't know where those things originated.  I'm pretty careful too but I've clicked on links on FB without thinking and got viruses.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I don't run anything extra on my mac, just the included firewall. But mine is a desktop, so it's not being used out and about on other networks like laptops often are. I also have reasonably good skills as far as not clicking links in emails ect and limit any sketchy browsing to my iphone where it's easy to get rid on any internet viruses. @Mom2Dogs 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval