Esteemed Contributor

I have an external call blocker – Digitone Call Blocker Plus.  It was recommended by Consumer Reports.  It has a lot of programming options.  It can block up to 1,000 numbers.  It can block by number, area code, exchange or name.  I’ve used them all.  It’s hooked to our main phone but you can block the number after they call.  You don’t have to do it during the call.  When I’m unsure if the number is a scam, I wait to see if they leave a message.  I’ll block the number if they don’t leave a message or leave a scam message.  It also suppresses the first ring on blocked calls so you don’t have to hear anything but peace and quiet.

Super Contributor

Hi, I got one for my home phone and it has been like a miracle for me. It has cut out the telemarketer calls completely. Now if I could stop the ones on my cell phone I would be set.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought an AT&T phone with call blocking and call screening built in.  I love it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Call block?

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs, If it's available in your area and for your provider and equipment, I think you'll find that Nomorobo will be a wonderful free service:

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy an external call blocker.  Just buy a new phone with extensions.  AT&T makes them that block 1,000 calls.  Panasonic's only block 250 calls.  I'm thinking about getting a new one and looked on Panasonic's website and read about everyone of them, and they only block 250.  I have a Panasonic now, but had to throw one of the extensions away recently because it was sounding distorted to the people who were calling me.  I'm going to replace it with an AT&T.

Nomorobo doesn't work at all.  I've used it since it became available and have renewed it.  I can't tell that it blocks any calls.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have Nomorobo, and it works great! Our phone rings once when it is an spam caller, and then Nomorobo cuts it off instantly. Nomorobo uses the list that the Federal Trade Commission releases daily to determine who is a spam caller. I used to report them to the FTC, but don't have to anymore because we do not get the calls. Just go to the FTC and sign up for the Do Not Call registry. When you get a spammer, go to the FTC site and click on "Unwanted calls." This is the list the FTC releases daily to companies like Nomorobo. Nomorobo is free. I also have Panasonic landlines also and have blocked a few numbers from people we do not want to speak with. It is nice and peaceful around here now.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies/advice....I had no idea that after years of not having an answering machine and just recently hooking it up, it would cause all these spam calls!

I am going to look in to the Nomorobo....

Honored Contributor

I just received an email today from Verizon that with Caller ID service there is a feature that will ask you if the call is SPAM based on area code and prefix.

You can identify the calls as spam and it will apparently (over time) get rid of these calls.

Should be interesting.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

My Xfinity service allows 25 blocked calls, I have a Panasonic cordless that has a 30 number blocked calls feature. Both are full right now; I know Panasonic has a model that  has 60 call block  capacity now.I also use Nomorobo which seems to be working in the capacity it's suppose to work, other than that, caller ID is my biggest call blocking assistant. Numbers I don't recognize, no name, weird toll free numbers, etc... I don't answer, if they do or don't leave a voicemail, no big deal, couldn't have been that important anyway. The caller ID displays on my TV so that's a help, I'm usually watching TV most of the time anyway.  My smartphone also can block numbers as well. I don't believe there is a limit on the blocked calls I can store on the cell phone, I haven't reached on if there is. It blocks messages too, oh and it's not a seperate app. either

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have the Panasonic phone with the built in call block feature.  I got it because I needed a new phone anyway.

QVC sells the CPR external call blocker.  If my phone was in good shape, I would have purchased that instead.

The Panasonic came with three additional phones and I can use the call block feature on every one of them. 

People are still calling though. I have to block a couple of calls a day.

I bought the Panasonic phone with the call block that HSN carries.  Best phone ever! You can block calls from all four phones( three phones and the base phone) Up to 200 blocks it will hold at one time.  I have had it for over a year, and blocked a lot of numbers and still have not reached 200.  Great sound...great distance. GREAT PHONE👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👍👍👍👍