Honored Contributor

Anyone have an external  phone block unit for their landline phone?

or is that feature generally built into the phone?

The spam calls have been just terrible lately. I guess the 'do not call' list does not work.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

You do not need an external anything for landline phones.  Call your phone company to see what they can do for you.

The "Do Not Call" option works for US base spammers only.  The only recourse you have for "internationl" spammers is to jot down the # & report it to the Federal Trade Commission at complaints.donotcall.gov or 1-888-382-1222.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Call block?

[ Edited ]

I have the Panasonic phone with the built in call block feature.  I got it because I needed a new phone anyway.

QVC sells the CPR external call blocker.  If my phone was in good shape, I would have purchased that instead.

The Panasonic came with three additional phones and I can use the call block feature on every one of them. 

People are still calling though. I have to block a couple of calls a day.

Honored Contributor

I almost purchased one of those external blocker units, until I found out that it can only be hooked up to the main phone which, in my case, is upstairs in my office with the modem.   

That would have been 100% ineffective because, no matter where I am in my house, having to run up the stairs and across a 25' room to hit the 'block' button would not work.

I have phones with the button and that works well because each handset has the button and I have handsets throughout my house.

Just make sure you are able to make the right choice, based on your situation.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have the phone and extensions.  I don't have that thing QVC sells.

I just bought from HSN another call block set of phones that I can connect with my cell phone.  It's the latest and greatest.

I haven't hooked them up yet.

That call block button on those phones are the best thing since sliced bread.  It works great.

My phone rings once and I don't know what the blocked people hear but it's not me or my answering machine!

I've lost track at how many numbers I've blocked.  I've had this phone for close to a year now.

I'm going to give this other set to my friend.

Honored Contributor

Have you looked into NomoRobo?  It works like a charm and is free.  I rarely get spam calls any more - one per week, if that.  Your phone company has to support it, but the NomoRobo site will walk you through that determination.

Valued Contributor

Eliminating your answering machine for a while will significantly reduce these calls. When they get an answer the number is verified as a working number. If there is no answer, after a few calls your number will drop off as a non working number. I take messages on my cell phone only and now almost never get phishing or telemarketing calls. 

Honored Contributor

@jewel3 wrote:

Eliminating your answering machine for a while will significantly reduce these calls. When they get an answer the number is verified as a working number. If there is no answer, after a few calls your number will drop off as a non working number. I take messages on my cell phone only and now almost never get phishing or telemarketing calls. 

I do this, too. When I get a call from an unknown number then I quickly hit the 'on' then 'off' buttons on my phone and never let it go to voice mail. I've done this for years and it seems to cut down on the calls considerably.  Voice-mail is a way the callers can tell if your number is an active one.

Valued Contributor

This is not for everybody but it got to the point the only people calling on my landline were telemarketers so I got rid of it. I only use my cell phone now, a lot of my family does that. 

Respected Contributor

Once a specific # is blocked phones ring once but call doesn’t get through. Yes, you do have to manually block  call initially on main phone.

@chickenbutt wrote:

I almost purchased one of those external blocker units, until I found out that it can only be hooked up to the main phone which, in my case, is upstairs in my office with the modem.   

That would have been 100% ineffective because, no matter where I am in my house, having to run up the stairs and across a 25' room to hit the 'block' button would not work.

I have phones with the button and that works well because each handset has the button and I have handsets throughout my house.

Just make sure you are able to make the right choice, based on your situation.   Smiley Happy