Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone tell me about this.  My desk top computer is dieing from old age and I went to Best Buy to look into the Chrome book.  I liked the HP 8 generation , but they could not tell me much.  I am not new to computers, but don,t want a big laptop, just something to get into my reg. Accounts email and surf.  Something simple at my age.  I,m in my 80 s and don,t need all the confusing stuff, so i,'ve been seeing advertisements for the CB.

I also use a Kindle 10.

Any advise would be appreciated.  I also went online, but don,t understand what it does.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

I am an Apple person, but the biggest reason is because I have an iPad and a Iphone and it’s easier for them to talk to each other. So you may want to consider what kind of phone you have also.

I do know the schools use the chromebook these days even in early elementary school, so they must be fairly reliable and simple. Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition -

I love my chromebook and feel it was designed just for me.

It never gets viruses, no annoying windows updates or security things to update.

It basically rules itself. It is even easy to set up by yourself which to me is totally amazing!

I can't imagine ever getting anything else.

People who need to do documents have said a chromebook isn't the best for these and writing reports. Since I don't use them, I don't know the details.

If you use your computer for what you said, I think you would love it.

Acer and Samsung has them for less than $200 at Walmart.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay 

@on the bay wrote:

@qvcaddition -

I love my chromebook and feel it was designed just for me.

It never gets viruses, no annoying windows updates or security things to update.

It basically rules itself. It is even easy to set up by yourself which to me is totally amazing!

I can't imagine ever getting anything else.

People who need to do documents have said a chromebook isn't the best for these and writing reports this since I don't use them, I don't know the details.

If you use your computer for what you said, I think you would love it.

Acer and Samsung has them for less than $200 at Walmart.  Thank you.  I don,t do reports.  Sounds good.  The easy set up I like, because no one to help me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank all for your positive answers.  I,m sold.  I will stay posted after I purchase one and let you know.  I thought I would wait for the Memorial weekend sale.

Is there a printer that is compatable?

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum 

@Bhvbum wrote:

I am an Apple person, but the biggest reason is because I have an iPad and a Iphone and it’s easier for them to talk to each other. So you may want to consider what kind of phone you have also.

I do know the schools use the chromebook these days even in early elementary school, so they must be fairly reliable and simple. Hope this helps. 

I have the Jutterbug phone with 5star GPS.  It text, and takes photos, but it is not a smartphone.  Thank you for your help.  

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition I like my chromebook, when it works. For what I do (email. shopping, social media, and surfing the web) it's good. I would suggest to you not to buy the Samsung Chromebook Pro (I did and am sorry) I have had to send it away for repairs 3 times, I will have it for 2 years in August. I thought I did my homework on this, I spent over $500 on it which is expensive for a chromebook, you can get one for much less. From what I have read many people are not happy with this chromebook.

Respected Contributor

i also have an acer chromebook, and it is everything i need!  i agree with the previous positive posts, and i think that you'll be happy if you decide to to this way. please let us know what you end up with. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition -

This past time I didn't have anyone to help me either but it was still pretty straightforward. It kind of leads you through it. All your email and bookmarks automatically go onto your chromebook.

The first time I got one at Office Depo, the clerk helped me but I don't think you will even need help. 

I was really happy about being able to do it myself. 

I hope if you get one, you will love it as much as I do.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I love my CB, for all of the reasons @on the bay  stated.