Super Contributor

Re: Black screen of death on iphone

If you end up having to get a new phone, I would recommend the iPhone SE 2nd generation.  I got one a year ago to replace my 1st gen.  It is quite a bit cheaper than the newer larger screen models.

Super Contributor

@geezerette   We are of the same mind.

Esteemed Contributor

@spumoni99 my iPhone is an XR same thing.  I'm sure Apple can help you.  Also there is a website called back market.com.  They sell refurbished IPhones for very reasonable prices and they warranty them.  I found out from a friebd of mine who uses them as he refuses to pay the new phone prices.   This way he gets an upgraded new phone

You could probably get a much newer model than you have for much less than a new IPhone.   Check them out if you can't get this one to work.  Apple should be able to tell you if this upgrade was the cause.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spumoni99   just buy a case for your phone and a screen protector.   I have dropped my phone several times and even on the sidewalk.  It never broke.  That's an easy solution.   If Apple can't help you or if using iTunes to power it up doesn't work, please see my message about backmarket.com.    You can get a refurbished newer iPhone than the one you have at a fraction of the cost, a warranty for a year and 30 day return.  They  even give you a trade in for your present phone.  The reviews are great.  A friend of mine told me about it.   I don't want to spend the money for a new IPhone or a new Android either. They Andre all very expensive.  I'm comfortable with iphones and Macs.    I have only used them exclusively for many many years. 

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

Did you plug it in and shut it off? This has always worked for me in the past?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

If you open "settings" on the phone, you can find the model #

This info is at the very top where you sign in using your AppleID

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

I believe you have an iPhone 8 if it shows 2017.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black screen of death on ipho

@LTT1    She said she checked the box.  It's a X.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Is it possible that Apple did this just so people would buy new phones? I woudn't put it past them to purposely create these problems to get more business. Maybe not, but I'm cynical when it comes to some things. Could be they're just incompetent.

I don't have an Apple products and will not buy one. 

@teganslaw @Not with this particular update. It is a security update for a major security issue. 

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@spumoni99 

If you open "settings" on the phone, you can find the model #

This info is at the very top where you sign in using your AppleID

My screen is black I can't open anything.  I am working on itunes recover now I just need to delete some files it keeps saying i dont have rrom on my laptop.