Respected Contributor

Re: Black screen of death on iphone

It doesn't have a home button, the screen being black I can't see anything but online several things are recommended, hitting volume up then volume down then pushing the power button on for a long time, this only caused the phone to make a loud noise and the light flashed, after holding the button for a long time.

Trust me I have tried it all.

Respected Contributor

This is basically what it looks like the left has a volume up and down and the right side has the power button.iphonex.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried restoring it through iTunes?  That usually works.  Your phone needs to be connected to a PC or Mac 

• First of all, confirm that your Mac is up to date. If you’re using a Windows PC, make sure you have the most recent version of iTunes installed.
  • Keep your iPhone connected to the computer and follow the steps below to enter Recovery mode.

• Press the volume up button, then immediately let go of it.
    • Press the volume down button, then swiftly quit.
    • After that, hold down the side button until the recovery mode screen appears.

how to fix iphone black screen of death on ios 16 - repair completes
  • On iTunes, you will have the option to update or restore your device.

• Tap update first to re-download and reinstall the software without losing data. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't tried that, I did see that as an option so I may try that before calling apple.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 Well since other Apple users tried it and it worked, why would you not do it?

BTW phones don't need to cost a thousand dollars.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@spumoni99 Well since other Apple users tried it and it worked, why would you not do it?

No reason, I will try it.  I just haven't used itunes for backups or anything so wasn't sure if that would be an issue.   I am starting to think its probably a hardware issue that just happened to be after the upgrade.  Not sure but like I said I will try it.  My twin granddaughters spent the night and are using my cables at the moment so I will try it in a bit. I like to do that stuff when I don't have any distractions so I will do it after their mom picks them up.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Which cheaper phone do you recommend?  I don't want a trac phone I want to stay on the family plan that we have with verizon.  I like the ease of use of the iphone but I am not averse to another brand.  Costco use to have unlocked phones for under 200 but I don't see any at the moment.  I don't really mind spending the money but it justs stresses me out in case I drop it, I guess I could buy insurance on it.

I dropped the phone from the couch to the floor before this happened also so that could have caused this also, but it was ooly a foot or so drop and our flooring is not super hard so who knows, maybe one too many drops?

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99  I have a screen protector on mine by Zagg.  They are expensive but the repair is guaranteed if you drop the phone and the screen cracks. 

If you decide to get a different brand, be careful with the Samsung phones. The BF had one and the back of the phone, which was not metal, cracked from being in his back pocket. He got it repaired locally and found a case for it. 

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

@spumoni99  I have a screen protector on mine by Zagg.  They are expensive but the repair is guaranteed if you drop the phone and the screen cracks. 

If you decide to get a different brand, be careful with the Samsung phones. The BF had one and the back of the phone, which was not metal, cracked from being in his back pocket. He got it repaired locally and found a case for it. 

luckily the screen protector on the phone has kept it from getting cracked but I think internally they can be damaged.

Funny story my daughter is a pilot and a friend who is a stunt pilot took her up in his two seater where you are in an open cockpit, she was taping with her phone  and it flew out of her hands.  A few days later she got a call that it was found, she was worried that it had hurt someone, turns out it fell on a football field and the vice principal was adept at locating the owner of a phone by going on to their facebook, anyway she was reunited with her phone and it was fine.  Her friends all tagged the phone protector company on her fb post about it.  I can't remember the brand but its a popular brand, and I think the football field had somehow softer ground to protect the players.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

If you don't mind a smaller iPhone with fewer bells and whistles, there's the SE, which is less costly.